Children evacuated from bus on fire in Radlett
- Credit: @Amanda_Benezra/Twitter
Pupils had to be evacuated from a coach after it dramatically burst into flames on the way to school this morning.
Two fire crews from Garston and Borehamwood rushed to Watling Street in Radlett after receiving an emergency phone call at 7.26am.
Herts Police were also called to the fire.
Six children, who were being driven to a school in Barnet, and the driver of the Little Bus Company coach had already been evacuated before the crews arrived at the scene.
Firefighters donned breathing apparatus as the coach was well alight upon arrival.
You may also want to watch:
They extinguished the blaze by 7.56am.
Eyewitness Amanda Benezra tweeted that “no one got hurt”.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 5 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 6 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 7 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 8 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 St Albans Striders enjoy comfort of their home roads if not the heat and hills
A spokesman for the Little Bus Company said that the coach driver noticed flames shooting into the air, from outside the back of the bus, and had immediately stopped and evacuated pupils.
He added: “There were about half a dozen kids. The driver was OK. He saw flames from the binder brake, which had over-heated and caused the fire.”
A spokesman for Herts county council said a road closure was put in place between Park Road and The Drive following the fire, to allow the clearance of the bus and repairs to the road.