Two hospitalised after chemical spill at Westminster Lodge in St Albans
- Credit: Pearce Bates / Archant 2022
Two men have been hospitalised after a chemical spill at Westminster Lodge Leisure Centre in St Albans this afternoon.
Members of the public were evacuated and police cordoned off the site in Holywell Hill at around 3.30pm after reports came in of a chemical leak.
Emergency responders were photographed in full green suits going into the building after standing under a shower before entering.
Four fire engines, the police and ambulance service were on scene during the evacuation, closing off access to St Albans Abbey station in the process.
A spokesperson for the East of England Ambulance Service said: “We were called to Westminster Lodge Leisure Centre just before 3pm today following reports of a chemical spill.
“Two ambulances, two vehicles from the Hazardous Area Response Team and a rapid response vehicle attended the scene.
“Two adult men who had minimal exposure were transported to Watford General Hospital for further assessment and observation.”
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 3 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 4 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 5 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 6 BBC 5 Live football podcast recorded at 'Britain's oldest pub' in St Albans
- 7 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 8 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 9 Mr Motorsports - the St Albans lawyer with F1 flair
- 10 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
A spokesperson for the Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “We have four fire engines in attendance at an incident at Westminster Lodge Leisure Centre in St Albans.
“Firefighters are assisting with an incident involving a chemical leak.”
A spokesperson for Hertfordshire Police said: "We were alerted to a chemical leak, believed to be chlorine gas, at Westminster Lodge, St Albans, at around 2.40pm.
Police and Fire attended and the building was evacuated. Two people were affected by the chemicals and paramedics were called.
"Road closure on Hollybush Lane was put in place and some surrounding buildings cordoned off as a precaution."
For the most up-to-date information about the county's roads, visit our LIVE Hertfordshire traffic map.
Do you have a live or breaking news story from across Hertfordshire? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org