Chemical scare at factory
BOXES of corrosive chemicals stacked up outside a factory caused a scare at the weekend. It is thought that a security guard on the industrial estate in St Albans Road, Sandridge, smelt acetic acid at around 8.30pm on Sunday night and rang the police who
BOXES of corrosive chemicals stacked up outside a factory caused a scare at the weekend.
It is thought that a security guard on the industrial estate in St Albans Road, Sandridge, smelt acetic acid at around 8.30pm on Sunday night and rang the police who then called out the fire service.
Four fire crews, including two from St Albans, arrived at the factory used by the digital imaging and photographic equipment supplier Key Photo which, it was later discovered, was in the process of moving out of the premises.
Firefighters found 20 boxes of acetic acid labelled corrosive piled up outside the factory, all of which were safely sealed.
You may also want to watch:
It is thought the strong chemical smell was emerging from a nearby skip where a broken container had been disregarded and it was not believed to be hazardous.
A representative of the company was called out and explained that the boxes had been stacked up outside the factory for collection in the morning as the company was relocating.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Shortages crisis hits district
- 3 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 4 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 6 Neighbouring councils reject Bowmans Cross development
- 7 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 8 St Albans school adopts new wellbeing app
- 9 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
The boxes were then moved inside the factory as a precaution and firefighters and police left the scene at around 11pm.