Charity tandem ride for Chiswell Green man
- Credit: Archant
A TANDEM charity bike ride covering the length of the UK sets off this Saturday.
Pals Mark Harris, 37, from Hatfield, and Dean Patrick, 45, from Chiswell Green, will be riding to the furthest points of Land’s End and John O’Groats in just nine days and with no support vehicle, and will be aiming to travel up to 130 miles a day.
Mark will be cycling to raise money for The Alzheimer’s Society which works to improve the quality of life of people affected by dementia in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
This is a charity close to Mark’s heart after his dad Michael lost his long battle against the disease last September.
Dean is raising money for The Neo Natal Unit (NICU) at Luton and Dunstable Hospital where Dean’s daughter Gracie Mae was born. Unfortunately she arrived 15 weeks early, weighing in at just 762g (1lb 11oz).
You may also want to watch:
Gracie spent 13 long weeks in the unit, with many complications along the way.
Mark said: “We wanted to raise money for these charities but decided to make it more difficult by doing it on a tandem, so we bought an old tandem and did it up with help from our sponsors.”
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Shortages crisis hits district
- 5 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 6 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 7 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 8 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 9 St Albans Sirens overcome seasickness to complete charity Channel swim
- 10 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
The ride is being sponsored by Austen Cox Vehicle Refinishing, D & P Electrical, JJ Burgess & Sons, MVS Interiors, Putterills of St Albans, Support UK, Global Rail (Hatfield), Hatfield Cycles and Tyler’s Sportswear.
To follow their progress and donate to these worthy causes visit www.tandemcharityride2013.com