Champagne and oyster bar for Harpenden?
AN OYSTER and champagne bar could be coming to Harpenden if planning permission is granted.
The bar would be located in the High Street shop occupied by Reads’ Florist if the change of use from retail is granted.
Cllr John Chambers said he was in favour of the unusual idea and that people needed to be “open minded to new ventures”.
He said: “I think it’s something that might just work and what a breath of fresh air that might be. We need to be supporting new ventures otherwise we’ll have empty shops and we want to keep the High Street vibrant and lively.”
But the Harpenden Society have voiced their objections to the plans because they feel there are already too many eateries in the town and they want to prevent the loss of retail outlets.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson for Reads’ Florist said there had been an offer on their lease but that the store would not be closing down or moving locations. She declined to comment further.
The oyster and champagne bar proposers state in their application that it would offer a “unique and pleasurable dining experience”.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 10 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears