Champagne and oyster bar for Harpenden?
AN OYSTER and champagne bar could be coming to Harpenden if planning permission is granted.
The bar would be located in the High Street shop occupied by Reads’ Florist if the change of use from retail is granted.
Cllr John Chambers said he was in favour of the unusual idea and that people needed to be “open minded to new ventures”.
He said: “I think it’s something that might just work and what a breath of fresh air that might be. We need to be supporting new ventures otherwise we’ll have empty shops and we want to keep the High Street vibrant and lively.”
But the Harpenden Society have voiced their objections to the plans because they feel there are already too many eateries in the town and they want to prevent the loss of retail outlets.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson for Reads’ Florist said there had been an offer on their lease but that the store would not be closing down or moving locations. She declined to comment further.
The oyster and champagne bar proposers state in their application that it would offer a “unique and pleasurable dining experience”.
- 1 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 2 'Kick-ass' St Albans business campaigns for period pants tax removal
- 3 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 4 Woman loses more than £1000 in St Albans cashpoint distraction scam
- 5 6 movies to watch on TV this week made in Herts
- 6 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
- 7 Tributes paid to former St Albans City goalkeeper Lee Bozier
- 8 Two St Albans women recognised as inspirational entrepreneurs
- 9 Thameslink teams up with community in Harpenden to support vaccine drive
- 10 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre