Celebrities hop on their horses at Chiswell Green in aid of soldiers
A CELEBRITY polo event raised thousands of pounds for injured soldiers at the weekend.
Around 500 people attended Polo for Heroes which took place at the St Albans Polo Club in Chiswell Green Lane on Saturday.
The event was the idea of TV chef Tristan Welch, from Saturday Kitchen and The Great British Menu, and polo fanatic Clare Dingwall, who met at a Chef for Heroes fundraiser last year.
The day saw Tristan prepare a sumptuous feast while spectators enjoyed polo matches between The Army and Civilian teams, as well as two celebrity teams, including one led by former The Small Faces and The Who drummer Kenney Jones.
Other attendees included boxing champ Steve Collins, former Miss United Kingdom Amy Guy, also known as Siren from the new version of TV’s Gladiators, and ex-EastEnders actor Ricky Groves.
Around �25,000 was raised on the day, which will go towards Help for Heroes – the charity that supports members of Britain’s Armed Forces wounded serving their country.
Steve Collins, who helped organise the event, said: “The day was a tremendous success, and that’s all down to the very generous help we received from so many local firms and individuals. Everyone had such a great time that we’re already planning a similar Polo For Heroes event next year.”
- 1 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 2 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 3 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 4 'Don't touch my hair!' - tackling hair discrimination against black youngsters
- 5 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 6 Red Door Recruitment share tips to help you land your dream job as they celebrate 15 years in business
- 7 Property Spotlight: A striking modern apartment in St Albans
- 8 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 Removing asbestos from Arena will cost £250,000
- 10 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
For more information visit www.poloforheroes.co.uk