Celebrating St Albans’ industrial and agricultural heritage at steam and country show
- Credit: Archant
Visitors to Oaklands College took a journey back in time last weekend for the annual St Albans Steam and Country Show.
Organised by the Hertfordshire Steam Engine Preservation Society, members and supporters showcased exhibits celebrating Hertfordshire’s rich industrial and agricultural heritage.
Pride of place was taken by the 30 full-size historic steam road engines, all at least 75 years old and some even centenarians.
The highlight was the district’s very own Aveling and Porter steamroller which dates back to 1913. This was purchased new by St Albans Corporation and worked locally until 1958, when it was sold to a local enthusiast for £40 - today it is worth much more!
Miniature versions of classic vehicles allow enthusiasts to own an engine which will fit in their garage, and these were seen travelling around the field all day.
Working demonstrations by machinery including tractors, commercial vehicles and motorcycles offered a snapshot look at how things were done in the past, when before the last war steam wagons regularly pounded through St Albans carrying long distance loads.
Sandy Ross from the Society said: “Good weather on the Saturday saw record crowds, which more than compensated for a quieter day on Sunday as a result of the rather gloomy weather. The Society is grateful to Oaklands College for their support and encouragement.”
- 1 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 2 'Don't touch my hair!' - tackling hair discrimination against black youngsters
- 3 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 4 Property Spotlight: A striking modern apartment in St Albans
- 5 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 6 Red Door Recruitment share tips to help you land your dream job as they celebrate 15 years in business
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 9 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 10 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire