Celebrating St Albans’ industrial and agricultural heritage at steam and country show
- Credit: Archant
Visitors to Oaklands College took a journey back in time last weekend for the annual St Albans Steam and Country Show.
Organised by the Hertfordshire Steam Engine Preservation Society, members and supporters showcased exhibits celebrating Hertfordshire’s rich industrial and agricultural heritage.
Pride of place was taken by the 30 full-size historic steam road engines, all at least 75 years old and some even centenarians.
The highlight was the district’s very own Aveling and Porter steamroller which dates back to 1913. This was purchased new by St Albans Corporation and worked locally until 1958, when it was sold to a local enthusiast for £40 - today it is worth much more!
Miniature versions of classic vehicles allow enthusiasts to own an engine which will fit in their garage, and these were seen travelling around the field all day.
You may also want to watch:
Working demonstrations by machinery including tractors, commercial vehicles and motorcycles offered a snapshot look at how things were done in the past, when before the last war steam wagons regularly pounded through St Albans carrying long distance loads.
Sandy Ross from the Society said: “Good weather on the Saturday saw record crowds, which more than compensated for a quieter day on Sunday as a result of the rather gloomy weather. The Society is grateful to Oaklands College for their support and encouragement.”
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
- 6 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 9 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public