Celebrate a traditional Christmas at one of St Albans’ churches
EVERY year, the Herts Advertiser proudly publishes a list of local church services at Christmas, a tradition we are happily continuing this year.
* St Albans Cathedral
December 15, 3pm – St Albans Bach Choir Family Carol Concert. Adults �5 (children �1 if seat required); December 15, 7pm – St Albans Bach Choir Carol Concert. Conductor: Andrew Lucas; Organ: Andrew Parnell. �10 (students and disabled, �5); December 22 – Carols on the Hour. Carol services start on the hour at 11am, 12noon, 1pm, 2pm, 3pm and 4pm. All welcome. Free; Christmas Eve, 3pm – Crib Service. A very popular and lively service lasting no more than an hour. Children visit the crib in the Cathedral and join in singing carols; 5.30pm – Choral Evensong for Christmas. A beautiful, reflective service sung by the Abbey Girls Choir; 11.30pm – Midnight Mass. Doors open from 10.50pm; Christmas Day, 8am – Eucharist with carols; 9.30am – parish Eucharist. A Christmas service for all ages with cr�che and children’s activities. Sung by the Abbey Girls Choir and the men of the Cathedral Choir; 11.15am – Matins for Christmas Day - a service sung by the Cathedral Choir; 12.30pm – Eucharist; Boxing Day, 4pm – Carols on Boxing Day.
* Chiswell Green United Reformed Church, Watford Road
December 23, 6.30pm – traditional carol service; Christmas Day, 9.30am – family service.
* Christ Church, High Oaks
December 13, 2.30pm – carol service and Christmas tea; December 23, 6.30pm – all age carol service; Christmas Eve, 3pm – crib service for younger children and their families; 11.30pm – midnight Communion service; Christmas Day, 10.40am – all age Christmas Day service.
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 3 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 4 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 7 Honest truths spilled in Saints dressing room after humbling FA Trophy defeat to Cheshunt
- 8 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition
- 9 St Albans' Rachel Andrews stars alongside James Nesbitt and Eddie Izzard in new Netflix series Stay Close
- 10 After another near miss, crossing desperately needed outside St Albans school
* City Church, Lyon Way, St Albans.
December 16, 10.30am – Nativity service; December 23, 10.30am – Christmas service; 7pm – candlelight carol service, followed by mulled wine and mince pies.
* Dagnall Street Baptist Church
December 15, 11am-1pm – open church; December 16, 10.30am – Christmas family service; December 22, 11am-1pm - open church, drop infor Christmas music and readings; December 23, 6.30pm – carol service; Christmas Day, 10.15am – Christmas Day service.
* Hatfield Road Methodist Church, St Albans.
December 21, 5pm – Christingle Tea Party for all children. Carers welcome to stay with younger children.; 6.15pm – Christingle worship for everyone; December 23, 7pm – carol service followed by refreshments and mince pies; Christmas Eve, 11.15pm – Holy Communion service; Christmas Day, 10.30am – all age worship.
* Homewood Road United Reformed Church
December 16, 10.30am – children’s church Christmas festival service; December 23, 6.30pm – carol service; Christmas Eve, 11.30pm – Christmas Eve service; Christmas Day, 10.30am – Christmas Day service.
* Living Waters, International Christian Fellowship
December 23, 4pm – celebration service, at Hatfield Road, Methodist Church.
* Marlborough Road Methodist Church
December 23, 10.30am – service of readings and carols; Christmas Eve, 7pm – Communion; Christmas Day, 10.30am – Christmas worship.
* Marshalswick Baptist Free Church, Sherwood Avenue
December 16, 10.15am – family worship for Advent; 6pm – carols by candlelight for all ages; December 19, 7.15 pm – carols for all at Jersey Farm Community Centre, St Brelade’s Place; December 23, 10.15am – family worship for Advent; 6pm – carols and ‘The Nativity’- a presentation written and performed by our young people; Christmas Eve, 11.30pm – Christmas Eve Communion; Christmas Day, 10.15am – family Christmas celebration.
* Network Church
December 23, 10.30am – family Christmas Service, Rothamsted Conference Centre, off the A1081 just south of Harpenden.
* New Testament Church of God, Fleetville Community Centre
December 23, 4pm – carol service; Christmas Day, 8.30am – family service.
* SS Alban & Stephen Catholic Church, Beaconsfield Road
Christmas Eve, 7pm – first Mass of Christmas (family Mass); 9pm – Italian Mass; 11.15pm – carols followed by midnight Mass; Christmas Day – masses at 8am, 9.30am and 11.30am; 4pm Polish mass; December 26, 12noon – Feast of St Stephen, Mass.
* St Julian’s Church, Abbotts Avenue
Christmas Eve 4pm – crib service; Christmas Day, 10am – family Communion.
* St Luke’s Church, Cell Barnes Lane
December 16, 4pm – candlelit carol service; Christmas Eve, 11pm – midnight Holy Communion, a candlelit service; Christmas Day, 10am – all-age celebration and Holy Communion. Bring your favourite presents with you.
* St Leonard’s Church, Church End, Sandridge
December 16, 6pm – carol service; Christmas Eve, 3pm and 5pm – crib services; 11.30pm - first Communion of Christmas; Christmas Day, 10am – all age celebration.
* St Mary’s, Marshalswick, Sherwood Avenue
December 23, 9.30am – parish Communion; 6.30pm – parish carol service; Christmas Eve, 5pm – crib service with nativity play; 11.30pm – Christmas midnight Mass; Christmas Day, 10am – family Communion.
* St Paul’s Church, Hatfield Road, St Albans
December 16, 10.30am – morning worship with children and youth parties; December 23, 6.30pm – candlelit carol service, food and drinks served afterwards; Christmas Eve, 3.30pm and 5pm – crib services for all the family. 11.30pm – midnight Communion; Christmas Day, 8am – traditional Communion; 10.30am – family Communion; New Year’s Day, 6pm – praise service with food.
* St Peter’s Church, St Peter’s Street
Christmas Eve 3pm – children’s crib service; 6.30pm – candlelit carol service with traditional carols and readings; 11.30pm – midnight Mass; Christmas Day, Tuesday, December 25, 8am – Holy Communion (BCP) traditional said service. 9.30am – the Christmas Eucharist, a celebration for all the family; 11.15am – choral Mattins.
* St Saviour’s Church, Sandpit Lane
December 23, 6pm – traditional carol service; Christmas Eve, 5pm – Christingle; 11.30pm – midnight Mass; Christmas Day, 8am – low Mass; 9.30am – parish Eucharist.
* St Stephen’s Church, Watling Street
Christmas Eve, 4pm – crib service; 11.30pm – midnight Mass; Christmas Day, 8am – Holy Communion; 10am – family Communion.
* Thirlmere Church, 153 Cell Barnes Lane
December 23, 4.30pm – carols by candlelight; Christmas Day, 10.30am – Christmas service.
* Trinity United Reformed Church, Beaconsfield Road
December 16, 10am – interactive festival service; 4pm – carols and tea; Christmas Day, 10am – Christmas Day service.
* The Vineyard Church, 7 Brick Knoll Park, Ashley Road
December 16 and 23, 9.30am and 11.30am – Christmas guest services, everyone welcome; December 21, 6.30pm-9pm – A Vineyard Christmas film night – A Muppet Christmas Carol - book free seats in advance with the church; Christmas Eve, 5pm and 7pm – carols and candlelight, join us for a short hour of carols, warm fruit punch and mince pies; December 30, 10.30am – New Year’s Eve eve service.
* Spicer Street Church
December 16 – carols at 6.30pm; December 23 – carols at 9.30am, 11.15am and 6.30pm; Christmas Eve – family celebration at 4.30pm; Christmas Day – 10.30am. Creche and refreshments available at each service.