CCTV shows assault on Thameslink service between St Albans and Luton
- Credit: Archant
Video of a violent assault on a Thameslink passenger has been released as the perpetrator spent his first night in jail.
Sam Pearce was sentenced yesterday to one year in prison after attacking a 39-year-old man in 2015.
Both the victim and Pearce had been on a train to Bedford when the victim woke up and mistakenly believed St Albans city station was Bedford station.
Noticing Pearce was still asleep, the victim nudged him awake to tell him, and both alighted from the train.
Realising their mistake, they re-boarded the train as it continued its journey.
You may also want to watch:
However, annoyed that he had been made to look ‘stupid’, Pearce stormed up the train looking for the man.
Newly-released CCTV footage has shown after he found him, Pearce began punching the man in the head.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
Pearce then dragged the victim onto the train platform, where he kicked him multiple times in the chest.
Following a public appeal, Pearce was arrested and charged with actual bodily harm.
He was found guilty of the charge by St Albans crown court on Friday, March 10.
British Transport Police Sgt Stephen Bartlett said: “The victim was simply trying to help Pearce by making sure he left the train at the final stop.
“He was apologetic for his mistake and was not expecting the violence that came next.
“As you can imagine this was an utterly terrifying experience for the victim who was left shaking on the platform.
“He thankfully sustained no long term injuries as a result of this assault.”