Do you recognise the person in this CCTV image?
- Credit: Archant
Have you seen this man?
Police have released CCTV images of a man they are looking for in connection with a theft from a car in Harpenden.
The crime happened at 3.30pm on April 18 in Luton Road.
St Albans Neighbourhood Insp Jon Roche stressed the importance of properly securing vehicles: “Please take a moment to make sure your car is locked after you push the lock button on your key ring and that you haven’t left anything, especially valuables, on display.
“As we increase our scrutiny of vehicle crime we are coming across more and more evidence showing the vast majority of vehicle crimes like this are opportunist and therefore easily preventable by simply locking the door.”
Eighty per cent of people who report thefts from motor vehicles do not know how access was gained to the car.
He added: “We have CCTV images that clearly show offenders trying doors. If they are locked, they move on to one that isn’t. Make sure it is not yours.”
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 3 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 5 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 6 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 7 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 8 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 9 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 10 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
One such offender was Gary Jakeman, who was sentenced to 13 weeks’ imprisonment last month for attempting to break in to cars on Cottonmill Lane.
He was caught on camera trying several car doors to see if they were insecure.
Anyone with information should contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.