Do you recognise the person in this CCTV image?
- Credit: Archant
Have you seen this man?
Police have released CCTV images of a man they are looking for in connection with a theft from a car in Harpenden.
The crime happened at 3.30pm on April 18 in Luton Road.
St Albans Neighbourhood Insp Jon Roche stressed the importance of properly securing vehicles: “Please take a moment to make sure your car is locked after you push the lock button on your key ring and that you haven’t left anything, especially valuables, on display.
“As we increase our scrutiny of vehicle crime we are coming across more and more evidence showing the vast majority of vehicle crimes like this are opportunist and therefore easily preventable by simply locking the door.”
Eighty per cent of people who report thefts from motor vehicles do not know how access was gained to the car.
He added: “We have CCTV images that clearly show offenders trying doors. If they are locked, they move on to one that isn’t. Make sure it is not yours.”
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 3 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 4 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 5 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 6 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
- 7 St Albans care teams win big at annual awards ceremony
- 8 Churches group organises meeting for Ukrainians and host families
- 9 Remembering 'Mr Harpenden' - the indomitable Michael Weaver
- 10 Preaching into Sermon of the Year finals
One such offender was Gary Jakeman, who was sentenced to 13 weeks’ imprisonment last month for attempting to break in to cars on Cottonmill Lane.
He was caught on camera trying several car doors to see if they were insecure.
Anyone with information should contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.