Cash grant will help maintain Harpenden war memorial
PROTECTING the memory of the war dead through maintenance of the memorial in Harpenden has been helped by a cash boost. Regular cleaning of the war memorial in Harpenden town centre will now be paid for out of a fund set up by the War Memorials Trust, bel
PROTECTING the memory of the war dead through maintenance of the memorial in Harpenden has been helped by a cash boost.
Regular cleaning of the war memorial in Harpenden town centre will now be paid for out of a fund set up by the War Memorials Trust, believed to be in the region of �2,500.
At a recent meeting of Harpenden Town Council (HTC), it was agreed that officers would inspect the site once a year with a view to employing a contractor every three years to clean the stone and re-wax the bronze plaques
Cllr John Chambers said: "We decided cleaning the stone once a year might do more harm than good.
You may also want to watch:
"You can wash a shirt too much. It will be inspected annually and cleaned whenever it is thought to be needed."
St Albans District Council (SADC) planners advised HTC that listed building consent would be required each time the memorial was to be cleaned and suggested the bronze plaques might need to be re-waxed every three years or so.
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 5 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 6 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 7 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 8 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 9 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 10 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
To clean the stone work each time will cost �560 plus VAT and the bronze plaques will cost �90 plus VAT.