Cars torched on heath
ARSONISTS have torched three cars in less than a week at a popular St Albans heathland after first racing them and churning up the ground. The first car went up in flames in Bernards Heath, off Harpenden Road, in the early hours of Saturday morning and an
ARSONISTS have torched three cars in less than a week at a popular St Albans heathland after first racing them and churning up the ground.
The first car went up in flames in Bernards Heath, off Harpenden Road, in the early hours of Saturday morning and another two cars, a red Vauxhall Corsa and a silver Ford Ka, were set on fire at around 3am this morning (Thursday).
Firefighters were called to both incidents and police launched a search for the arsonists last night, using their helicopter at one point.
Local resident Sue Lawrence, who walks her dog on the heath, said: "The first car has been there since Saturday morning and nobody has moved it. There is a lot of broken glass and this is obviously dangerous for children. They could get in it and cut themselves."
You may also want to watch:
She was walking her dog in the area this morning and noticed the top heath was churned up with tyre tracks where the vandals had raced the vehicles around before torching them.
She also said that tyre tracks had first appeared on the lower heath several-weeks-ago.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 5 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 6 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 7 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 8 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 St Albans Striders enjoy comfort of their home roads if not the heat and hills
Police are investigating the incidents and anyone with information should contact them on 0845 3300 222.