Carer Jean celebrates in style
A SUPRISE birthday party was thrown last week for an 80-year-old care assistant who looks after people younger than herself. Jean Walter has worked at Grace Muriel House in St Albans for the last 18 years and residents, colleagues and family members gathe
A SUPRISE birthday party was thrown last week for an 80-year-old care assistant who looks after people younger than herself.
Jean Walter has worked at Grace Muriel House in St Albans for the last 18 years and residents, colleagues and family members gathered to make Jean's birthday one to remember.
The mother of four and grandmother of six said she was "overwhelmed" but delighted by the occasion, which she had been trying to keep "low-key."
Upon completing her shift, Jean's colleagues dressed her up in 1920s' attire to take her back to the decade of her birth and then led her into her party where her three daughters, her son and one of her granddaughters were also waiting in secret.
You may also want to watch:
Jean, of Ashley Road, was born in the north and took up the care assistant position upon retiring from her office job having always wanted to be a nurse.
She has been there ever since and is now even older than Grace Muriel House's youngest resident, Iris Wright (pictured with her), who enjoys teasing Jean about their one-month age gap.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 3 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
- 5 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 6 Property Spotlight: A quaint cottage on Fishpool Street, St Albans
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 9 8 countries added to UK green travel list
- 10 Havin a fantastic lunch at new Turkish restaurant
But Jean has no plans to retire yet and still loves the job as much as ever.