Carer Jean celebrates in style
A SUPRISE birthday party was thrown last week for an 80-year-old care assistant who looks after people younger than herself. Jean Walter has worked at Grace Muriel House in St Albans for the last 18 years and residents, colleagues and family members gathe
A SUPRISE birthday party was thrown last week for an 80-year-old care assistant who looks after people younger than herself.
Jean Walter has worked at Grace Muriel House in St Albans for the last 18 years and residents, colleagues and family members gathered to make Jean's birthday one to remember.
The mother of four and grandmother of six said she was "overwhelmed" but delighted by the occasion, which she had been trying to keep "low-key."
Upon completing her shift, Jean's colleagues dressed her up in 1920s' attire to take her back to the decade of her birth and then led her into her party where her three daughters, her son and one of her granddaughters were also waiting in secret.
Jean, of Ashley Road, was born in the north and took up the care assistant position upon retiring from her office job having always wanted to be a nurse.
She has been there ever since and is now even older than Grace Muriel House's youngest resident, Iris Wright (pictured with her), who enjoys teasing Jean about their one-month age gap.
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Area Guide: The busy Hertfordshire town of Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 5 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 6 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 7 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 8 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 9 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 10 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
But Jean has no plans to retire yet and still loves the job as much as ever.