Cardinal visits St Albans school for anniversary mass
- Credit: photo supplied
The head of the Catholic church in England has celebrated Mass at a St Albans school to help it celebrate its jubilee year.
Cardinal Vincent Nichols took centre stage at St Columba’s College, King Harry Lane, as celebrations continue for the 75th anniversary of its foundation by Philip O’Neill in 1939.
This year also marks the 60th anniversary of the college’s re-foundation by the Brothers of the Sacred Heart in 1955.
A spokeswoman for the school described the Mass as, “a very uplifting occasion and the college was delighted that the family of its founder was represented by three of his daughters.”
Other guests included the Deputy Mayor of St Albans Cllr Gill Clark, former Mayors, Cllrs Geoff Harrison and Annie Brewster and St Columba’s Old Boy Conor Burns, who is MP for Bournemouth West.
The school originally opened at 30 Beaconsfield Road in St Albans in 1939, before moving to larger premises at Sanders Mansion, ‘Orchid House’, on Camp Road in 1940.
In 1955 the school - by then re-located to St Stephen’s Hill - transferred to the care of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart who came from the United States. The number of students increased from 75 to 125 and the Brothers were fortunate enough to be able to purchase Watling House Hotel in King Harry Lane.
- 1 Teen punched in face and stomach during robbery
- 2 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 3 Bank cards stolen from elderly woman
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 IN PICTURES: Alban Pilgrimage returns to city
- 6 What next for Alban Arena and city centre culture?
- 7 Youths 'kicked and threw stones' at pregnant hedgehog in Hertfordshire
- 8 St Albans Beer and Cider Festival set to return after two years
- 9 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 10 Verulam Reallymoving's Houghton on a high with Bovingdon win
The new school was built in 1961 and has recently undergone major development work to update facilities and cater for more students.