Candle Starts Fire in St Albans Home

A TEA light started a fire in a St Albans home last night (Thursday). Two crews from St Albans fire station were called to the blaze in Creighton Avenue, Cottonmill, at around 8.45pm, where four people were inside. A tea light on a window sill set fire to

A TEA light started a fire in a St Albans home last night (Thursday).

Two crews from St Albans fire station were called to the blaze in Creighton Avenue, Cottonmill, at around 8.45pm, where four people were inside.

A tea light on a window sill set fire to a net curtain but the occupants managed to put out the flames before the arrival of firefighters who then ventilated the property, which was left with minimal smoke damage.

Watch commander Trevor Ray said the incident highlighted the danger of burning candles and stressed that it needed to be done with caution.


You may also want to watch:


He went on to say that even though a candle may appear to be in a safe place, drafts can often blow the flames onto nearby objects or materials.

For a free home fire safety check call 01727 818919.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus