Candle sets fire to bathroom

PUBLISHED: 11:14 26 January 2009 | UPDATED: 13:54 06 May 2010

A CANDLE left burning on the side of a bath when a homeowner went to work started a fire on Sunday afternoon. Firefighters were called to the flat in Wynches Farm Drive, St Albans, at around 3.15pm after a neighbour smelt burning and raised the alarm. The

A CANDLE left burning on the side of a bath when a homeowner went to work started a fire on Sunday afternoon.

Firefighters were called to the flat in Wynches Farm Drive, St Albans, at around 3.15pm after a neighbour smelt burning and raised the alarm.

The two crews from St Albans fire station had to break down the door of the property with a sledgehammer before finding the bathroom engulfed in flames.

St Albans Crew Commander Richard Fidler said that the homeowner worked in a hospital and was unable to leave when the police contacted her.

Firefighters managed to contain the blaze to the bathroom and left the scene around an hour later after ventilating the flat and stairwell.

Commander Fidler said the bathroom was gutted in the fire and the rest of the flat was left with smoke damage, making it uninhabitable.

A subsequent fire investigation revealed that the fire was started by a candle left burning on the side of a plastic bath, which had melted, he added.

He reminded people never to leave candles unattended.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser