Campaign aims to provide food for disadvantaged during lockdown
- Credit: Sopwell Community Trust
Can you help provide sufficient food supplies for those who need them during lockdown?
Members of the St Albans community, charities and businesses have pulled together to raise additional funds, supplies and meals for existing local resources who provide food to those who need extra support, and have already collected more than £5,000 in donations.
Facebook group founder Karen Snook is working with Raihaanah Ahmed, owner of The Meating Room and trustee with the Sopwell Community Trust, to crowdfund enough cash to provide a significant number of disadvantaged families and individuals with a box of seasonal fruit and vegetables, together with an additional voucher for meat, poultry and fish.
Karen explained: "So far this money has been spent on fresh fruit and vegetable boxes for our community. The boxes were huge and packed full of healthy, colourful and seasonal food. An amazing team of volunteers rallied round gathering boxes, unpacking and sorting all of the food and then delivering to our local Food Bank hubs for collection as well as doorstep drops for those more vulnerable or shielding."
Following on from the success of the initial Christmas drive, Karen is now aiming to continue it into 2021.
"This is a project that needs to be ongoing, the crowdfunder is still live for donations and we hope to recreate the boxes for February half-term, if not sooner to provide sufficient food supplies to those that need them. It is a huge goal and all donations are welcome to help smash it."
Raihaanah added: "Since March 2020 we have been providing food aid across St Albans and have helped close to 3,000 people. By providing the high ticket item - fresh produce - we're lifting some of the burden on families who are being financially tested to breaking point.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 3 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 4 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 5 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 6 BBC 5 Live football podcast recorded at 'Britain's oldest pub' in St Albans
- 7 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 8 Mr Motorsports - the St Albans lawyer with F1 flair
- 9 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 10 St Albans Striders shine as Midweek Road Race League makes welcome return
"This pandemic has brought to the surface the many hidden challenges faced by families and individuals in our city; we have and will continue our best to provide help with compassion and kindness. Huge thanks to all volunteers and donors for making this possible."
To support the fundraiser visit www.crowdfunder.co.uk/stalbanssecretsanta