Call to investigate zero-hour contracts used in St Albans district
- Credit: Archant
The practice of controversial zero-hour contracts which are used by some of the district council’s contractors must be thoroughly investigated as a matter of urgency, an opposition councillor has said this week.
Figures disclosed by St Albans district council (SADC) show a handful of firms which provide services to the district are employing staff under conditions that give them no guarantee of work.
This includes car park operator NCP, which has one person working on a zero-hour contract in St Albans, ground maintenance contractors John O’Conner which has three rangers employed under the flexible terms and pest control contractors SDK Environmental.
The issue has been raised by Labour councillor Jacob Quagliozzi who has condemned zero-hour contracts and requested a full report on how these practices are used.
“Zero-hour contracts concern me because they allow employers to take on staff with no guarantee of work. Employees work only when they are needed and paid only for those hours; sick pay is often not included. It becomes almost impossible to plan your finances with any degree of certainty without knowing how many hours you’ll work next week.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Quagliozzi added: “The portfolio holder’s job is to make sure public money is spent in a responsible and ethical way and he [Cllr Alec Campbell] needs to investigate further how these contracts are being used and ensure they are not exploitative.”
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 3 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 4 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 7 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 8 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 9 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans