Cadets celebrate 80 years of St John Ambulance in Harpenden
- Credit: Archant
People passing through Harpenden last Saturday were treated to an insight into the world of first aid, as St John Ambulance celebrated 80 years in the town.
The Harpenden Cadet unit of the organisation, which is the nation’s leading first aid charity, prepared a day of activities to celebrate.
The Harpenden Fire Station was transformed in to a safety-how-to hub; with first aid demos, a fake injuries stand, resuscitation station, and ambulance tours.
The charity event also raised funds which will be used to train volunteers and buy essential first aid equipment.
The rainy weather didn’t dampen people’s spirits and countless passers by stopped to donate and get involved.
You may also want to watch:
People of all ages were taught essential first aid skills and willing young patients were given fake injuries, then made up and then treated in the appropriate way.
Brian Heron-Edmends, St John Ambulance district manager with responsibility for Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire, said: “What is really good news is that the Harpenden Cadet unit is now 30-strong with a waiting list.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
“All these Cadets are receiving first aid training which means that they have the skills to be the difference between a life lost and a life saved. One of them is also going to become a youth leader, which is a great example of leadership development.”