Cadets celebrate 80 years of St John Ambulance in Harpenden
- Credit: Archant
People passing through Harpenden last Saturday were treated to an insight into the world of first aid, as St John Ambulance celebrated 80 years in the town.
The Harpenden Cadet unit of the organisation, which is the nation’s leading first aid charity, prepared a day of activities to celebrate.
The Harpenden Fire Station was transformed in to a safety-how-to hub; with first aid demos, a fake injuries stand, resuscitation station, and ambulance tours.
The charity event also raised funds which will be used to train volunteers and buy essential first aid equipment.
The rainy weather didn’t dampen people’s spirits and countless passers by stopped to donate and get involved.
You may also want to watch:
People of all ages were taught essential first aid skills and willing young patients were given fake injuries, then made up and then treated in the appropriate way.
Brian Heron-Edmends, St John Ambulance district manager with responsibility for Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire, said: “What is really good news is that the Harpenden Cadet unit is now 30-strong with a waiting list.
- 1 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 4 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 5 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 6 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 7 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 8 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 9 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 10 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
“All these Cadets are receiving first aid training which means that they have the skills to be the difference between a life lost and a life saved. One of them is also going to become a youth leader, which is a great example of leadership development.”