Business as usual for Harpenden pub struck by fire overnight
- Credit: Archant
A popular Harpenden pub is open for business as usual despite a small fire in a storeroom overnight.
A crew from Harpenden were called to The Engineer pub in St Johns Road, Harpenden, at around 4.37am this morning after reports of a small accidental fire. A spokesman for St Albans fire station confirmed that officers from Harpenden were on the scene until 6.20am and were joined by crews from St Albans and Redbourn at around 5.30am.
Officers used a hose reel, breathing apparatus and a covering jet to tackle the blaze which was put out in 20 minutes.
Staff were evacuated from the pub and no-one was injured.
The pub reopened today at 4pm and landlord Pete Mann said it was “open for business as usual.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “Everyone got out safely and we would like to thank the fire service for their quick response.
“It was an isolated fire to the rear of the building and limited damage was done.”
- 1 How many people in St Albans were fined for breaking COVID rules?
- 2 Stamp duty holiday extension to be debated in Parliament
- 3 Hitchin and Harpenden MP responds to questions over new £2,500 a month part-time role
- 4 Remembering one-of-a-kind local legend Lee Bozier
- 5 Why is there a 50mph speed limit on small section of A414?
- 6 Row over new barriers blocking path for wheelchair users
- 7 Row over charges for garden waste continues
- 8 Increase in electric car charging points thanks to new partnership
- 9 Ambulance boss steps down after battling 'severe coronavirus'
- 10 Campaigners continue fight for 20mph limits on county's roads