Business as usual for Harpenden pub struck by fire overnight
- Credit: Archant
A popular Harpenden pub is open for business as usual despite a small fire in a storeroom overnight.
A crew from Harpenden were called to The Engineer pub in St Johns Road, Harpenden, at around 4.37am this morning after reports of a small accidental fire. A spokesman for St Albans fire station confirmed that officers from Harpenden were on the scene until 6.20am and were joined by crews from St Albans and Redbourn at around 5.30am.
Officers used a hose reel, breathing apparatus and a covering jet to tackle the blaze which was put out in 20 minutes.
Staff were evacuated from the pub and no-one was injured.
The pub reopened today at 4pm and landlord Pete Mann said it was “open for business as usual.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “Everyone got out safely and we would like to thank the fire service for their quick response.
“It was an isolated fire to the rear of the building and limited damage was done.”
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 3 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 4 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 5 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 6 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 7 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 8 A New York state of mind
- 9 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 10 Charity clothes swap raises thousands for mental health charity