Business as usual for Harpenden pub struck by fire overnight
- Credit: Archant
A popular Harpenden pub is open for business as usual despite a small fire in a storeroom overnight.
A crew from Harpenden were called to The Engineer pub in St Johns Road, Harpenden, at around 4.37am this morning after reports of a small accidental fire. A spokesman for St Albans fire station confirmed that officers from Harpenden were on the scene until 6.20am and were joined by crews from St Albans and Redbourn at around 5.30am.
Officers used a hose reel, breathing apparatus and a covering jet to tackle the blaze which was put out in 20 minutes.
Staff were evacuated from the pub and no-one was injured.
The pub reopened today at 4pm and landlord Pete Mann said it was “open for business as usual.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “Everyone got out safely and we would like to thank the fire service for their quick response.
“It was an isolated fire to the rear of the building and limited damage was done.”
- 1 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 2 Is Bricket Wood being over-developed?
- 3 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 4 Area Guide: Harpenden's vibrant Southdown neighbourhood
- 5 Seven-up for Devine as Colney Heath reach final of spring cup
- 6 Celebrating post-war football's local legends
- 7 May 17th: The Ivy in St Albans is ready to welcome back customers
- 8 Colney Heath up for the cup says boss but plan is also to carry form into next year
- 9 “It’s behind you” – Beloved Bob Golding bids a fond farewell to Arena panto
- 10 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease