Business as usual for Harpenden pub struck by fire overnight
- Credit: Archant
A popular Harpenden pub is open for business as usual despite a small fire in a storeroom overnight.
A crew from Harpenden were called to The Engineer pub in St Johns Road, Harpenden, at around 4.37am this morning after reports of a small accidental fire. A spokesman for St Albans fire station confirmed that officers from Harpenden were on the scene until 6.20am and were joined by crews from St Albans and Redbourn at around 5.30am.
Officers used a hose reel, breathing apparatus and a covering jet to tackle the blaze which was put out in 20 minutes.
Staff were evacuated from the pub and no-one was injured.
The pub reopened today at 4pm and landlord Pete Mann said it was “open for business as usual.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “Everyone got out safely and we would like to thank the fire service for their quick response.
“It was an isolated fire to the rear of the building and limited damage was done.”
- 1 What to expect with pupils heading back to the classroom
- 2 CCTV appeal after £100,000 worth of vehicles destroyed in arson attack
- 3 Residents' misery after disruption on former Butterfly World site
- 4 Tributes paid following death of 'warm and polite' Redbourn councillor
- 5 Special report: An insight into dog theft in Hertfordshire
- 6 Blooming Burnham flower tributes 'spread love not lurgies'
- 7 St Albans' COVID cases decline considerably as roadmap out of lockdown announced
- 8 Batchwood Hall COVID vaccine team warn of potential scam call
- 9 The latest court results from the St Albans area
- 10 St Albans named among UK's million-pound property hotspots