Burst water main in Harpenden now fixed
- Credit: Getty Images/TongRo Images RF
Some Harpenden households were left without water after a mains pipe was damaged yesterday.
A burst main by Pollards Farm, Burgess Hill, affected various roads with an AL5 postcode and Affinity Water worked from about 7pm to fix the problem by about 4.20am this morning.
The company has warned that some people may experience discoloured or cloudy water, caused by iron dislodged by the repairs or air trapped in the pipe.
It advises the tap should be left running for five to ten minutes but stresses neither phenomenon are harmful.
An Affinity Water spokesperson said he was sorry for any inconvenience: “Temporary traffic lights were put in place to ensure the safety of commuters and our technicians working to repair the main, which was completed in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
You may also want to watch:
“There are many different factors which may cause a burst to happen, such as ground movement caused by seasonal temperature changes and extreme cold weather.
“We would like to thank customers for their patience whilst these repairs were carried out.”
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall