Burst water main in Harpenden now fixed
- Credit: Getty Images/TongRo Images RF
Some Harpenden households were left without water after a mains pipe was damaged yesterday.
A burst main by Pollards Farm, Burgess Hill, affected various roads with an AL5 postcode and Affinity Water worked from about 7pm to fix the problem by about 4.20am this morning.
The company has warned that some people may experience discoloured or cloudy water, caused by iron dislodged by the repairs or air trapped in the pipe.
It advises the tap should be left running for five to ten minutes but stresses neither phenomenon are harmful.
An Affinity Water spokesperson said he was sorry for any inconvenience: “Temporary traffic lights were put in place to ensure the safety of commuters and our technicians working to repair the main, which was completed in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
“There are many different factors which may cause a burst to happen, such as ground movement caused by seasonal temperature changes and extreme cold weather.
“We would like to thank customers for their patience whilst these repairs were carried out.”
- 1 Sexual assault onboard train to Harpenden
- 2 In pictures: Harpenden Christmas Carnival makes long-awaited return
- 3 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 4 Property Spotlight: See inside this stunning £2.1m period home in St Albans
- 5 1,000 new homes planned next to village
- 6 Saints happy to escape Kent with a point after poor showing at Tonbridge
- 7 Museum lit in orange to highlight gender-based violence
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Sing out for Christmas with Clarence Park carol service
- 10 Boreham Wood game will be completely different to Tonbridge draw says St Albans City boss