Burst water main forces schools to close
AT LEAST four schools were forced to close today (Wednesday) and large areas of St Albans were without water after a water main burst. It happened on the North Orbital Industrial Estate in Napsbury Lane, at 5am and left residents living at 11 different po
AT LEAST four schools were forced to close today (Wednesday) and large areas of St Albans were without water after a water main burst.
It happened on the North Orbital Industrial Estate in Napsbury Lane, at 5am and left residents living at 11 different postcodes in the city with low or no water supply.
Bernards Heath School, Camp Primary School and Wheatfields Infant and Junior Schools were forced to close and St Albans Girls School and Beaumont School both had to switch to back-up supplies.
One St Albans resident who did not wish to be named said he woke up to find there was no cold water. Worried about going to work and leaving his father, who was bed bound with flu, without any drinking water he called Three Valleys Water Company.
He had to wait for about 10 minutes before anyone answered the phone and then during the conversation with customer services he was cut off.
A spokesperson for Three Valleys Water said they were in the process of resupplying customers with water from another area of the network and were waiting for pressure to be restored
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 4 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 5 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 6 Saints respond to Cheshunt shocker with hard-fought draw at Chelmsford
- 7 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 8 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 9 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
- 10 London Colney children will be going nuts for this new Scouts group
Herts County Council's children schools and families department said they had also heard that Cunningham Hill School was closed but it had not been confirmed.
All parents had been informed of the closures via local radio and the individual school websites.