Burglars Target Harpenden Pensioner
A HARPENDEN pensioner was one of five people who fell victim to distraction burglars last night. Between 6.15pm and 6.45pm, a man claiming to be a investigating a water leak talked his way into the home of a man in his eighties. But the pensioner challeng
A HARPENDEN pensioner was one of five people who fell victim to distraction burglars last night.
Between 6.15pm and 6.45pm, a man claiming to be a investigating a water leak talked his way into the home of a man in his eighties.
But the pensioner challenged the man while he was on the premises and he left without taking anything.
The bogus water workers was described as white, in his mid 20s, with a stocky build and was wearing a black waist-length jacket and dark trousers.
You may also want to watch:
The other four incidents on the same night occurred in Hitchin and Hatfield.
Det Insp Dave Wheatley from Operation Manhunt said: "In the majority of these incidents, the offenders were challenged by the householders who had felt empowered to turn them away.
- 1 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 2 'Kick-ass' St Albans business campaigns for period pants tax removal
- 3 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 4 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
- 5 6 movies to watch on TV this week made in Herts
- 6 Woman loses more than £1000 in St Albans cashpoint distraction scam
- 7 Two St Albans women recognised as inspirational entrepreneurs
- 8 Thameslink teams up with community in Harpenden to support vaccine drive
- 9 Tributes paid to former St Albans City goalkeeper Lee Bozier
- 10 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
"I would reassure people that we are thoroughly investigating these incidents and are providing full support to the victims of these despicable crimes."
Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 0845 3300222 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.