Burglars Target Harpenden Pensioner
A HARPENDEN pensioner was one of five people who fell victim to distraction burglars last night. Between 6.15pm and 6.45pm, a man claiming to be a investigating a water leak talked his way into the home of a man in his eighties. But the pensioner challeng
A HARPENDEN pensioner was one of five people who fell victim to distraction burglars last night.
Between 6.15pm and 6.45pm, a man claiming to be a investigating a water leak talked his way into the home of a man in his eighties.
But the pensioner challenged the man while he was on the premises and he left without taking anything.
The bogus water workers was described as white, in his mid 20s, with a stocky build and was wearing a black waist-length jacket and dark trousers.
You may also want to watch:
The other four incidents on the same night occurred in Hitchin and Hatfield.
Det Insp Dave Wheatley from Operation Manhunt said: "In the majority of these incidents, the offenders were challenged by the householders who had felt empowered to turn them away.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 10 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
"I would reassure people that we are thoroughly investigating these incidents and are providing full support to the victims of these despicable crimes."
Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 0845 3300222 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.