Burglars Target Harpenden Pensioner
A HARPENDEN pensioner was one of five people who fell victim to distraction burglars last night. Between 6.15pm and 6.45pm, a man claiming to be a investigating a water leak talked his way into the home of a man in his eighties. But the pensioner challeng
A HARPENDEN pensioner was one of five people who fell victim to distraction burglars last night.
Between 6.15pm and 6.45pm, a man claiming to be a investigating a water leak talked his way into the home of a man in his eighties.
But the pensioner challenged the man while he was on the premises and he left without taking anything.
The bogus water workers was described as white, in his mid 20s, with a stocky build and was wearing a black waist-length jacket and dark trousers.
You may also want to watch:
The other four incidents on the same night occurred in Hitchin and Hatfield.
Det Insp Dave Wheatley from Operation Manhunt said: "In the majority of these incidents, the offenders were challenged by the householders who had felt empowered to turn them away.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 3 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 6 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
"I would reassure people that we are thoroughly investigating these incidents and are providing full support to the victims of these despicable crimes."
Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 0845 3300222 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.