Burglars Target Harpenden Pensioner
A HARPENDEN pensioner was one of five people who fell victim to distraction burglars last night. Between 6.15pm and 6.45pm, a man claiming to be a investigating a water leak talked his way into the home of a man in his eighties. But the pensioner challeng
A HARPENDEN pensioner was one of five people who fell victim to distraction burglars last night.
Between 6.15pm and 6.45pm, a man claiming to be a investigating a water leak talked his way into the home of a man in his eighties.
But the pensioner challenged the man while he was on the premises and he left without taking anything.
The bogus water workers was described as white, in his mid 20s, with a stocky build and was wearing a black waist-length jacket and dark trousers.
The other four incidents on the same night occurred in Hitchin and Hatfield.
Det Insp Dave Wheatley from Operation Manhunt said: "In the majority of these incidents, the offenders were challenged by the householders who had felt empowered to turn them away.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Herts Ad Sunday League mourns passing of two local legends
- 3 Major development planned for centre of St Albans
- 4 Blue Plaque commemorating life of Duchess of Marlborough
- 5 Area Guide: The Hertfordshire village of Bricket Wood between St Albans and Watford
- 6 Park drama as theatre director and café staff tackle tree fire
- 7 Man kicked, punched and knocked unconscious outside St Albans bank
- 8 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 9 It's A Kind of Magic as Queen Symphonic's Bohemian Rhapsody rocks Hatfield Park
- 10 St Albans set for heatwave and 31C sunshine in mid-August
"I would reassure people that we are thoroughly investigating these incidents and are providing full support to the victims of these despicable crimes."
Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 0845 3300222 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.