Cathedral enters into partnership with fast food chain
- Credit: St Albans Cathedral
If you would like a Whopper with your worship, you might just be in luck.
St Albans Cathedral has today unveiled plans to open a Burger King franchise in the existing refectory - with the Abbot's Kitchen operation moving to a takeaway van outside.
The move is in order to boost cathedral coffers in the wake of the pandemic, and hopefully attract a new and younger audience into the 10th century building.
Cathedral business development manager Lydia Farpools explained: "This is such an exciting plan for us. Jesus is our King and head of the Church, and we feel it is perfectly timed, and at Easter too, for the aptly-named fast food joint to become part of our sacred community.
"Why would anyone want a lovely home-made salad or a freshly baked pie with friends, when they can pop by for a Bacon Double Cheeseburger with fries in our picturesque surroundings?
You may also want to watch:
"Usually these restaurants are on industrial estates or in shopping centres, so this is a real novelty. It's also going to particularly exciting for our choristers. I mean, kids love a burger, don't they?"
The restaurant chain is also planning on running special promotions with the cathedral, including bespoke items like the Alban Burger, Lady Chapel chicken nuggets and Matins milkshakes, and plastic figures of saints in children's meals.
- 1 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 2 Major redevelopment underway at listed former offices in St Albans
- 3 Drug users at Telford Court flats face tough police action
- 4 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 5 Police hunt man suspected of breaking into Cathedral collection boxes
- 6 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 7 Call from St Albans Museum for start of Ramadan
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 What are our district's cases like now lockdown restrictions have eased?
- 10 St Albans GP publishes guide to living
We're sure you all guessed, but check the date, this is an April Fool!