Bricket Wood yachtsman triumphs in cross-Atlantic adventure
A YACHTSMAN and his fellow crew mates are set to be crowned the winners of a gruelling trans-Atlantic race this weekend. David Brannen, from School Lane in Bricket Wood, set off from the shores of Gran Canaria on November 22 and arrived at the Caribbean i
A YACHTSMAN and his fellow crew mates are set to be crowned the winners of a gruelling trans-Atlantic race this weekend.
David Brannen, from School Lane in Bricket Wood, set off from the shores of Gran Canaria on November 22 and arrived at the Caribbean island of St Lucia last Wednesday evening (December 9).
The St Stephen parish councillor was competing on his friend Tom Sperrey's yacht Nightlife in the Royal Ocean Racing Club (RORC) division of the ARC (Atlantic Rally for Cruisers) with around 20 other boats.
The Nightlife crew finished top of the race leaderboard, which is calculated on handicap, but they will not be unveiled as the official winners until the closing celebrations of the event which take place this weekend.
You may also want to watch:
Read next week's Herts Advertiser for the full story on David's adventure.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 3 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 6 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 7 In pictures: World's last 'truly wild' horse at Whipsnade Zoo
- 8 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 9 New campaign highlights Abbey Line hidden gems
- 10 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans