Brave St Albans boy's run in the sun
AN EAGER eight-year-old boy from St Albans couldn t wait to compete in last weekend s fun run, despite suffering from a complex heart condition. Eliyas Kapasi, a pupil at Skyswood Primary School, has a number of heart defects and was forced to undergo maj
AN EAGER eight-year-old boy from St Albans couldn't wait to compete in last weekend's fun run, despite suffering from a complex heart condition.
Eliyas Kapasi, a pupil at Skyswood Primary School, has a number of heart defects and was forced to undergo major surgery nearly three years ago to improve the quality of his life.
Eliyas, who lives in Buxton Close, completed the one-and-a-half mile fun run on Sunday as part of the St Albans Half Marathon events, jogging alongside his father Amir and his school friend Adam Busby.
His mother Rukshana, who finished a book last month called My Sister Makes Me Smile, a collection of true stories written by families who are affected by long-term conditions, said that she was proud of her son.
You may also want to watch:
She added: "We weren't sure that he would be able to compete but come race day he was feeling well and really wanted to have a go. It's the first time he has even been able to think about doing something like this and we're happy to support him."
Rukshana, who has marshalled the fun run for the last three years, said that the operation greatly improved Eliyas's energy levels and that he was already planning to compete next year, as well as taking on swimming lessons this month.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 4 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 5 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 St Albans Striders enjoy comfort of their home roads if not the heat and hills
My Sister Makes Me Smile, which has been illustrated by Eliyas's friends and an artist, is available at a price of �5.99 from ginnymoo publications which can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.