Boys' 12-hour swim
THREE intrepid swimmers have been working up more than a crawl to raise money for a charity dear to their hearts. Stephen Raynsford (centre), Ashley Harwood (left) and Alfie Jourdan, all pupils at St Columba s School in St Albans, are doing a sponsored sw
THREE intrepid swimmers have been working up more than a crawl to raise money for a charity dear to their hearts.
Stephen Raynsford (centre), Ashley Harwood (left) and Alfie Jourdan, all pupils at St Columba's School in St Albans, are doing a sponsored swim on Sunday in aid of The Stroke Association.
They have organised the 12-hour relay at Esporta in Hemel Hempstead in memory of Stephen's dad who died of a stroke in January.
Stephen, of Bushey, and Ashley, who lives in Redbourn, are aged 14 and Alfie, whose home is in St Albans, is 13.
You may also want to watch:
They will be swimming from 8.30am to 8.30pm with each of them doing half-an-hour and then having an hour off. That way there will be someone in the pool the whole time.
The boys have been friends for many years and after talking it through with their families, they decided on a sponsored swim because it was something all three of them could do.
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 4 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 7 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 8 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 9 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 10 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
Ashley's mum Jackie said they had already raised their £1,000 target and were now aiming for £1,500.
She added: "I think the fortunate part is that most people have said it's a great idea what you want to do and here's the money to do it."
A lane has been dedicated to their use at Esporta on Sunday and there will be plenty of people to cheer them on.
Tim Edwards, regional fundraising manager for The Stroke Association said: "We hope that as many people as possible will come forward to sponsor the boys."
To sponsor the trio email firstname.lastname@example.org