Book exchange at St Albans City Station
- Credit: Archant
A local station is leading the way in the eco-friendly field and has become one of the greenest in the country.
St Albans City Station has recently added to its already sustainable ethos by boasting its first book exchange.
The book swap scheme, sponsored by Healthy Planet, uses books that would have been sent to a landfill and instead offers them to commuters to read on their journey.
Station team leader Tasha Hodges said: “The book exchange has gone really well – a lot of people are very interested in what we are doing and have picked up books to read on their journey.
“Quite a few are asking if they can bring in books – they think it’s a really good idea.”
You may also want to watch:
The book exchange is just part of the green schemes the station has implemented, as it already boasts the most cycle spaces in the UK.
The station has recently seen solar panels implemented, which provide the station with 30 per cent of its power.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 4 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 5 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 6 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 7 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 8 Mouth of the Tyne: St Albans City don't do lower league opposition but keep bringing them on
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 Revealed: The most popular places in Hertfordshire to move to
Keith Jipps, First Capital Connect customer service director, said: “We want to help our passengers have a green journey to and from St Albans and we think the station is probably one of the most sustainable in the country.
“Our electric trains are already the greenest form of public transport and the station has our first electric car charging points and more bike rack spaces than any other in the country. Now, the book swap scheme will save hundreds of novels from landfill and give our passengers a good read on their journey with us.”