Bogus water company men try to rob pensioner
TWO men claiming to be from the water board tricked their way into the home of a 79-year-old man in St Albans last week. Police are appealing for information and witnesses following the distraction burglary which occurred in Hughenden Road, Marshalswick,
TWO men claiming to be from the water board tricked their way into the home of a 79-year-old man in St Albans last week.
Police are appealing for information and witnesses following the distraction burglary which occurred in Hughenden Road, Marshalswick, between 1.30pm and 1.47pm last Wednesday.
One of the men posed as a water board worker to get into the property and while he was distracting the owner in the kitchen, a second man searched the bedroom.
They left empty-handed when the victim became suspicious and challenged the first man.
You may also want to watch:
Both men were white and had Irish accents and the first suspect was about 5ft 6ins tall, stockily built and with short, light-brown hair. He was wearing a dark-coloured bomber jacket with a yellow top underneath.
The second suspect was about 6ft 2in tall with mousey-brown, messy-styled hair. He was wearing a white shirt with blue vertical stripes.
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 3 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 4 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 7 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 8 Check in to the Supper Club for something different
- 9 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 10 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
Anyone with information is asked to contact Pc Simon Smith from the Local Crime Unit based at St Albans police station on 0845 33 00 222. Alternatively call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.