Bogus water company men try to rob pensioner
TWO men claiming to be from the water board tricked their way into the home of a 79-year-old man in St Albans last week. Police are appealing for information and witnesses following the distraction burglary which occurred in Hughenden Road, Marshalswick,
TWO men claiming to be from the water board tricked their way into the home of a 79-year-old man in St Albans last week.
Police are appealing for information and witnesses following the distraction burglary which occurred in Hughenden Road, Marshalswick, between 1.30pm and 1.47pm last Wednesday.
One of the men posed as a water board worker to get into the property and while he was distracting the owner in the kitchen, a second man searched the bedroom.
They left empty-handed when the victim became suspicious and challenged the first man.
You may also want to watch:
Both men were white and had Irish accents and the first suspect was about 5ft 6ins tall, stockily built and with short, light-brown hair. He was wearing a dark-coloured bomber jacket with a yellow top underneath.
The second suspect was about 6ft 2in tall with mousey-brown, messy-styled hair. He was wearing a white shirt with blue vertical stripes.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 3 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 4 Shortages crisis hits district
- 5 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 6 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 7 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 8 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 9 St Albans school adopts new wellbeing app
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
Anyone with information is asked to contact Pc Simon Smith from the Local Crime Unit based at St Albans police station on 0845 33 00 222. Alternatively call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.