Blood cancer awareness month at St Albans leisure centre
- Credit: Archant
A leisure centre has kickstarted its contribution to blood cancer awareness month by encouraging members to get fit for charity.
Westminster Lodge, in St Albans, began its own campaign to raise money for the Anthony Nolan Trust which matches blood and bone marrow donors to patients, yesterday (Wednesday) on National Fitness Day.
The first week challenges the community to cycle, run and row 1km in Westminster Lodge’s indoor gym and donate a suggested £1 to the charity to participate.
Another challenge is to see how far participants can swim in 30 minutes.
Other fundraising activities will take place throughout the leisure centre’s fundraising event which runs until October 11.
Lesley Garner, general manager, said: “The Anthony Nolan Trust is a charity very close to our hearts here at Westminster Lodge.
“We are going to do everything we can to raise as much money as possible for those suffering from blood disease and their families and raise awareness for Anthony Nolan. National Fitness Day is a perfect opportunity to get everyone involved in trying out a new activity and to launch our awareness month for the charity – what better way to get active than by doing so for a good cause?”
- 1 Extinction Rebellion protestors scale roof of Barclays in St Albans
- 2 Seventies St Albans is backdrop to new novel about secret Nazi treasure
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 Local restaurants snap up accolades in Curry Awards
- 5 Batchwood Golf Course to be redesigned after houses hit by balls
- 6 1,000 new homes planned next to village
- 7 Property Spotlight: See inside this stunning £2.1m period home in St Albans
- 8 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 9 Future of Harpenden Public Halls site revealed
- 10 'Risky' new plans to transform St Albans city centre for a post-pandemic world
To find out more information call 01727 736080 or visit www.everyoneactive.com.