Bishop living in St Albans is given new role
A BISHOP is leaving his St Albans home to move to pastures new. The Rt Rev Christopher Foster – the present Bishop of Hertford, who lives in St Albans - is to be the next Bishop of Portsmouth. He has spent 16 years in the diocese – first as sub-dean of St
A BISHOP is leaving his St Albans home to move to pastures new.
The Rt Rev Christopher Foster - the present Bishop of Hertford, who lives in St Albans - is to be the next Bishop of Portsmouth.
He has spent 16 years in the diocese - first as sub-dean of St Albans Abbey and since 2001 as Bishop of Hertford.
Bishop Christopher, who is married to Sally and has two grown-up children Richard and Miriam, said: "It has been a privilege to serve in St Albans diocese as Sub Dean and as Bishop of Hertford, and to leave will be a huge wrench for us. I am excited and humbled to be called to lead the diocese of Portsmouth but we are very sad to be leaving so many good friends and colleagues in the parishes and the wider community. "
You may also want to watch:
The Bishop of St Albans, The Rt Rev Alan Smith, led the messages of congratulations saying: "I have been privileged to know Bishop Chris as a valued colleague, as a fellow Christian, and as a good friend.
"Chris is a man of deep prayer, in whom there is an infectious enthusiasm for the furthering of God's work. St Albans diocese has benefited immeasurably from his ministry and mission. "
- 1 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 2 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 5 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 6 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 7 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 8 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 9 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 10 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
The appointment comes five months after the incumbent Bishop of Portsmouth, who has fought a long battle with leukemia, announced that he was stepping down.