Bishop living in St Albans is given new role
A BISHOP is leaving his St Albans home to move to pastures new. The Rt Rev Christopher Foster – the present Bishop of Hertford, who lives in St Albans - is to be the next Bishop of Portsmouth. He has spent 16 years in the diocese – first as sub-dean of St
A BISHOP is leaving his St Albans home to move to pastures new.
The Rt Rev Christopher Foster - the present Bishop of Hertford, who lives in St Albans - is to be the next Bishop of Portsmouth.
He has spent 16 years in the diocese - first as sub-dean of St Albans Abbey and since 2001 as Bishop of Hertford.
Bishop Christopher, who is married to Sally and has two grown-up children Richard and Miriam, said: "It has been a privilege to serve in St Albans diocese as Sub Dean and as Bishop of Hertford, and to leave will be a huge wrench for us. I am excited and humbled to be called to lead the diocese of Portsmouth but we are very sad to be leaving so many good friends and colleagues in the parishes and the wider community. "
You may also want to watch:
The Bishop of St Albans, The Rt Rev Alan Smith, led the messages of congratulations saying: "I have been privileged to know Bishop Chris as a valued colleague, as a fellow Christian, and as a good friend.
"Chris is a man of deep prayer, in whom there is an infectious enthusiasm for the furthering of God's work. St Albans diocese has benefited immeasurably from his ministry and mission. "
- 1 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 2 'Kick-ass' St Albans business campaigns for period pants tax removal
- 3 Woman loses more than £1000 in St Albans cashpoint distraction scam
- 4 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 5 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
- 6 6 movies to watch on TV this week made in Herts
- 7 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 8 New rules are a further nail in the coffin for pubs
- 9 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 10 Tributes paid to former St Albans City goalkeeper Lee Bozier
The appointment comes five months after the incumbent Bishop of Portsmouth, who has fought a long battle with leukemia, announced that he was stepping down.