Bid to reinstate steps for Harpenden's Nickey Line
A PETITION calling for restoration work to be carried out on heavily-used steps down to the Nickey Line in Harpenden was due to be handed in to district councillors this week. The steps on the corner of Park Hill and Luton Road were closed on safety gro
A PETITION calling for restoration work to be carried out on "heavily-used" steps down to the Nickey Line in Harpenden was due to be handed in to district councillors this week.
The steps on the corner of Park Hill and Luton Road were closed on safety grounds in late 2008 - but residents have continued to use them.
Now Friends of the Nickey Line have drawn up a petition calling on the district and town councils to support them in their bid to get the steps repaired and reinstated.
Friends' chairman, Dave Abernethy, said "We are still seeing the steps used on a frequent basis despite the railings officially closing them. This plus feedback from users indicates there is real demand for the steps to be re-opened."
You may also want to watch:
"Both Harpenden Town Council and St Albans District Council (SADC) are very supportive of the Nickey Line generally. We believe they need to review their plans and support the work to refurbish the steps. We have launched this petition to draw their attention to the need for action."
More than 150 supporters have already signed the petition. But St Albans council's portfolio for sport and healthy living, Cllr Sheila Burton, said she was not convinced that there was a need for the steps and she would suspend judgement until this week's full meeting of the district council when the documentation and reports would be available.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 5 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
Friends of the Nickey Line are asking people who want to see the steps back in use to email them and local councillors. Email email@example.com or see the Friends' website at www.nickeyline.org