Better delay compensation call for Thameslink commuters
- Credit: Archant
Transport watchdogs are calling for the disruption endured by Thameslink passengers to be reflected in compensation offers..
The board of London TravelWatch which represents the interests of transport users in and around London is concerned that the disruption faced by passengers using Thameslink and two other rail services run by Govia is not properly understood by operators and decision makers.
Thameslink passengers using St Albans City, Harpenden and Radlett stations to travel to and from London have been plagued by problems in recent months including daily train cancellations and delays.
In January the situation worsened when a ruptured water main in the Clerkenwell tunnel between Farringdon and London St Pancras in January led to even greater problems.
Chair of TravelWatch, Stephen Locke, said that operators kept saying sorry but for many passengers, nothing seemed to change.
You may also want to watch:
He pointed out that very few commuters qualified for compensation - the package on offer from the train companies only applies to season ticket holders who have suffered delays of more than 30 minutes - yet where a typical 15-30 minute journey was regularly delayed by, say, 20 minutes, ‘the impact on people’s lives can be very severe indeed’.
Pledging to continue lobbying Transport Ministers to agree fairer treatment for passengers, he added: “The case for compensation payouts to be made automatically after delays of 15 minutes has never been stronger.”
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 4 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 7 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 8 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 9 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 10 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'