Bert left stumped over cricket team
DAVID Bray has turned detective after the Countess of Verulam asked him to identify nine cricketers in an old photo. David, aged 63, of Betty Entwistle House in Holyrood Crescent, St Albans, found the photo when going through his parents possessions afte
DAVID Bray has turned detective after the Countess of Verulam asked him to identify nine cricketers in an old photo.
David, aged 63, of Betty Entwistle House in Holyrood Crescent, St Albans, found the photo when going through his parents' possessions after they passed away soon after each other last year.
The photo, taken in the early 1960s, is a picture of the Gorhambury cricket team in which his dad Bert (pictured top right) used to play.
It was taken on the steps of Gorhambury House on the Gorhambury Estate where the cricket team's pitch was located.
As a child, David spent many happy weekends on the estate, playing with the current Earl of Verulam and watching his dad play cricket.
David asked Lady Verulam if he could scatter his parents' ashes on the cricket pitch because of the sentimental value it had.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 3 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 4 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 5 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 6 Call for Government to review district housing targets
- 7 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
- 8 Youths 'kicked and threw stones' at pregnant hedgehog in Hertfordshire
- 9 Preaching into Sermon of the Year finals
- 10 Churches group organises meeting for Ukrainians and host families
He also asked if she would like a copy of the photograph he found. Lady Verulam agreed to the ashes being scattered but she also wanted to know who the people in the photograph were.
David could only name five of them and he cannot work out who the other nine people are.
He is hoping that a relative or friend of the people pictured might be able to identify some of them.
If you can name any of the unidentified people please write to David at Flat 10, Betty Entwistle House, Holyrood Crescent, St Albans, or call him on 01727 864238.