Bert left stumped over cricket team
DAVID Bray has turned detective after the Countess of Verulam asked him to identify nine cricketers in an old photo. David, aged 63, of Betty Entwistle House in Holyrood Crescent, St Albans, found the photo when going through his parents possessions afte
DAVID Bray has turned detective after the Countess of Verulam asked him to identify nine cricketers in an old photo.
David, aged 63, of Betty Entwistle House in Holyrood Crescent, St Albans, found the photo when going through his parents' possessions after they passed away soon after each other last year.
The photo, taken in the early 1960s, is a picture of the Gorhambury cricket team in which his dad Bert (pictured top right) used to play.
It was taken on the steps of Gorhambury House on the Gorhambury Estate where the cricket team's pitch was located.
You may also want to watch:
As a child, David spent many happy weekends on the estate, playing with the current Earl of Verulam and watching his dad play cricket.
David asked Lady Verulam if he could scatter his parents' ashes on the cricket pitch because of the sentimental value it had.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 5 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
- 8 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 9 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
He also asked if she would like a copy of the photograph he found. Lady Verulam agreed to the ashes being scattered but she also wanted to know who the people in the photograph were.
David could only name five of them and he cannot work out who the other nine people are.
He is hoping that a relative or friend of the people pictured might be able to identify some of them.
If you can name any of the unidentified people please write to David at Flat 10, Betty Entwistle House, Holyrood Crescent, St Albans, or call him on 01727 864238.