Ben going the extra miles
BEN Meakin will be raising important funds for local hospice Grove House at this year s London Marathon. The 20-year-old student from Bury Green in Wheathampstead chose to run for the charity because of its local value and because some of his family membe
BEN Meakin will be raising important funds for local hospice Grove House at this year's London Marathon.
The 20-year-old student from Bury Green in Wheathampstead chose to run for the charity because of its local value and because some of his family members have suffered from cancer.
The former St George's School pupil, who is currently studying management science at Kent University, has been involved in fun runs in the past and was a keen cross-country runner at school.
He has always been very active, especially since he was a member of Wheathampstead Cubs, Scouts and then Explorers between the ages of seven and 18.
But he was inspired to attempt the London Marathon a couple of years ago when his dad took up the challenge.
Ben is now doing one long run of 16 or more miles and up to three shorter runs a week in preparation for the marathon in April.
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 4 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 5 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 6 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 7 Honest truths spilled in Saints dressing room after humbling FA Trophy defeat to Cheshunt
- 8 St Albans' Rachel Andrews stars alongside James Nesbitt and Eddie Izzard in new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition
- 10 After another near miss, crossing desperately needed outside St Albans school
If you would like to sponsor Ben, then visit his secure online donation page at www.justgiving.com/ benmeakin