Ben going the extra miles
BEN Meakin will be raising important funds for local hospice Grove House at this year s London Marathon. The 20-year-old student from Bury Green in Wheathampstead chose to run for the charity because of its local value and because some of his family membe
BEN Meakin will be raising important funds for local hospice Grove House at this year's London Marathon.
The 20-year-old student from Bury Green in Wheathampstead chose to run for the charity because of its local value and because some of his family members have suffered from cancer.
The former St George's School pupil, who is currently studying management science at Kent University, has been involved in fun runs in the past and was a keen cross-country runner at school.
He has always been very active, especially since he was a member of Wheathampstead Cubs, Scouts and then Explorers between the ages of seven and 18.
You may also want to watch:
But he was inspired to attempt the London Marathon a couple of years ago when his dad took up the challenge.
Ben is now doing one long run of 16 or more miles and up to three shorter runs a week in preparation for the marathon in April.
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 7 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
If you would like to sponsor Ben, then visit his secure online donation page at www.justgiving.com/ benmeakin