Ben going the extra miles
BEN Meakin will be raising important funds for local hospice Grove House at this year s London Marathon. The 20-year-old student from Bury Green in Wheathampstead chose to run for the charity because of its local value and because some of his family membe
BEN Meakin will be raising important funds for local hospice Grove House at this year's London Marathon.
The 20-year-old student from Bury Green in Wheathampstead chose to run for the charity because of its local value and because some of his family members have suffered from cancer.
The former St George's School pupil, who is currently studying management science at Kent University, has been involved in fun runs in the past and was a keen cross-country runner at school.
He has always been very active, especially since he was a member of Wheathampstead Cubs, Scouts and then Explorers between the ages of seven and 18.
You may also want to watch:
But he was inspired to attempt the London Marathon a couple of years ago when his dad took up the challenge.
Ben is now doing one long run of 16 or more miles and up to three shorter runs a week in preparation for the marathon in April.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 3 Shortages crisis hits district
- 4 St Albans school adopts new wellbeing app
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 6 Neighbouring councils reject Bowmans Cross development
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 Forging ahead for hospice care
- 9 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 10 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
If you would like to sponsor Ben, then visit his secure online donation page at www.justgiving.com/ benmeakin