Ben going the extra miles
BEN Meakin will be raising important funds for local hospice Grove House at this year s London Marathon. The 20-year-old student from Bury Green in Wheathampstead chose to run for the charity because of its local value and because some of his family membe
BEN Meakin will be raising important funds for local hospice Grove House at this year's London Marathon.
The 20-year-old student from Bury Green in Wheathampstead chose to run for the charity because of its local value and because some of his family members have suffered from cancer.
The former St George's School pupil, who is currently studying management science at Kent University, has been involved in fun runs in the past and was a keen cross-country runner at school.
He has always been very active, especially since he was a member of Wheathampstead Cubs, Scouts and then Explorers between the ages of seven and 18.
But he was inspired to attempt the London Marathon a couple of years ago when his dad took up the challenge.
Ben is now doing one long run of 16 or more miles and up to three shorter runs a week in preparation for the marathon in April.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Youths 'kicked and threw stones' at pregnant hedgehog in Hertfordshire
- 3 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 4 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 5 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 6 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 7 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
- 8 The Midwich Cuckoos: Keeley Hawes on Sky's gripping new drama adapted from John Wyndham’s sci-fi novel
- 9 Call for Government to review district housing targets
- 10 Preaching into Sermon of the Year finals
If you would like to sponsor Ben, then visit his secure online donation page at www.justgiving.com/ benmeakin