Bellringer celebrates 50 years at Sandridge church
- Credit: Archant
A bellringer is celebrating 50 years of ringing the bells at a church in Sandridge.
Trevor Hawkins, who is 88, was awarded life membership of the Hertford County Association of Change-Ringers in recognition of his 50 years as bellringer at St Leonard’s Church.
He has also played the organ at St Leonard’s since 1951, and continues to play the organ and ring the bells each week.
Trevor was congratulated at a church service on Sunday, April 29.
Associate minister Rev Peter Crumpler said: “Trevor is well known in Sandridge and further afield both for his bellringing and for playing the organ.
You may also want to watch:
“He makes a major contribution towards the life of St Leonard’s and is much loved and respected.
“As Trevor and many others can testify, bellringing is a great way to keep fit, learn a new skill and make friends. Churches across the area are keen to welcome new or returning ringers of all ages.”
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Charity founder cancels Channel swim after suffering long Covid