Beaumont School pupil receives August’s Maltings Community Heroes Award
- Credit: Archant
A young girl who raised more than £5,000 for a charity that supported her family has been rewarded for her efforts.
Elouise Wathen, 14, who attends Beaumont School, St Albans, has scooped August’s Maltings Community Heroes Award for raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support.
She spent three months organising a charity musical variety show, which featured performances from singers, actors and comedians.
More than 300 people turned up to the event, which took place at the Abbey Theatre, in St Albans. Elouise also took to the stage to sing ‘Almost There’ from Disney’s ‘The Princess and the Frog’. Dance and acting workshops were available in the morning for children.
She said: “I’ve grown up in theatre all my life and it’s something I’m very passionate about.
You may also want to watch:
“I know that people like to go to plays and have a good night out and so I thought this would be a good way to get people to come and support a close charity of mine and my family’s.”
Elouise decided to fundraise for Macmillan to show support to family members who have had cancer.
- 1 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 2 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 3 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 4 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 5 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 6 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 7 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 8 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 9 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 10 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
She continued: “Quite a few family members have got cancer or have battled cancer and I find it quite hard to see them go through it all.
“I just don’t like seeing my family go through tough situations by themselves and I wanted to do something to help them have the support they need.”
She added: “Thank you to everyone who supported me and was there along the way to support the charity and all of my friends and family.”
The Maltings has been running the community awards scheme in conjunction with the Herts Advertiser and each month the winner is presented with a £100 cheque.