BBC visits St Albans to film for The One Show
- Credit: Archant
St Albans played host to another film crew today (Thursday) as The One Show visited the city centre to capture bubbly presenter Alex Jones near the Cathedral.
The BBC star was being filmed riding a Suzuki motorbike past the city’s iconic landmark, after going through the historic Abbey Gateway, between St Albans School and the Abbey.
Crew were filming scenes for new idents to be shown before the live magazine programme is aired – with St Albans expected to feature in The One Show’s pre-title within the next few weeks.
The Suzuki motorbike, which had its wheels firmly attached to a trailer towed by a Nissan, was driven towards Ye Olde Fighting Cocks pub and Verulamium Park, and was then to be transported to other parts of Herts before travelling on to Henley.
Looking relaxed while on location, the production staff and film crew - who took a few selfies - called out to Alex “come on Jonesy” before she carefully climbed onto the motorbike, and had her hair brushed into place.
You may also want to watch:
She was then advised against “leaning too much” on the Suzuki before they all set off from Romeland through the Abbey Gateway, down Abbey Mill Lane.
In between filming, the production staff - one of whom lives in St Albans - told the Herts Advertiser that they settled on visiting this city because of its proximity to a film and TV grip equipment hire firm operating in the district.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 5 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 6 Green light given to new hospital project
- 7 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 8 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 9 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 10 Area Guide: The popular Highfield area of St Albans
Alex added: “It is a lovely place.”
Equipment was supplied by Chapman UK, which is based in Napsbury Lane and hires out everything from telescopic cranes to car rigging. Crane operators from Chapman UK were recently in the city centre filming Zombies for an eBay advertisement in front of the Town Hall.
A spokeswoman for the firm said that having The One Show filming in St Albans was a boost for both the city and Chapman UK.
She added: “It is good for us having the business here as we do a lot of work at the studios at Leavesden, and we used to be based at Elstree, so we are well known in the industry, and it’s convenient for people.”
The One Show used Chapman UK’s Nissan urban tracking vehicle, which is ideal for filming while on the road.
• BBC One airs The One Show at 7pm Monday-Friday.