BBC visits St Albans to film for The One Show
- Credit: Archant
St Albans played host to another film crew today (Thursday) as The One Show visited the city centre to capture bubbly presenter Alex Jones near the Cathedral.
The BBC star was being filmed riding a Suzuki motorbike past the city’s iconic landmark, after going through the historic Abbey Gateway, between St Albans School and the Abbey.
Crew were filming scenes for new idents to be shown before the live magazine programme is aired – with St Albans expected to feature in The One Show’s pre-title within the next few weeks.
The Suzuki motorbike, which had its wheels firmly attached to a trailer towed by a Nissan, was driven towards Ye Olde Fighting Cocks pub and Verulamium Park, and was then to be transported to other parts of Herts before travelling on to Henley.
Looking relaxed while on location, the production staff and film crew - who took a few selfies - called out to Alex “come on Jonesy” before she carefully climbed onto the motorbike, and had her hair brushed into place.
You may also want to watch:
She was then advised against “leaning too much” on the Suzuki before they all set off from Romeland through the Abbey Gateway, down Abbey Mill Lane.
In between filming, the production staff - one of whom lives in St Albans - told the Herts Advertiser that they settled on visiting this city because of its proximity to a film and TV grip equipment hire firm operating in the district.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 3 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 4 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 5 Can you help after man left unconscious outside St Albans pub?
- 6 Market trader says goodbye to beard after 15 years
- 7 Birthday charity walks in brother's memory
- 8 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 9 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 10 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
Alex added: “It is a lovely place.”
Equipment was supplied by Chapman UK, which is based in Napsbury Lane and hires out everything from telescopic cranes to car rigging. Crane operators from Chapman UK were recently in the city centre filming Zombies for an eBay advertisement in front of the Town Hall.
A spokeswoman for the firm said that having The One Show filming in St Albans was a boost for both the city and Chapman UK.
She added: “It is good for us having the business here as we do a lot of work at the studios at Leavesden, and we used to be based at Elstree, so we are well known in the industry, and it’s convenient for people.”
The One Show used Chapman UK’s Nissan urban tracking vehicle, which is ideal for filming while on the road.
• BBC One airs The One Show at 7pm Monday-Friday.