BBC One Show’s Jay Rayner samples St Albans hot cross buns
- Credit: Archant
THE One Show’s resident food expert Jay Rayner said St Albans’ claim to the hot cross bun was the best he had ever tasted when he visited the city to do a spot of filming for the BBC programme.
The celebrity food critic was at the Cathedral last Thursday to sample the famous Alban Bun, which is believed to have originated in St Albans in the 14th Century.
As part of the bakery segment he was filmed being presented with one of the sweet spiced buns by a “monk” who was keeping tight-lipped about its secret ingredients.
Mr Rayner, who also stopped off at Simmons Bakery in French Row and took part in a bake-off at Redbournbury Mill, said: “It is an absolute joy to come to St Albans as I went to school not far from here. We do a whole variety of films and I do love the ones which have proper social history in them. St Albans’ claim to the hot cross bun is the real deal.”
He added: “I like the bun, it is soft and light with a hit of cardamom. As the baker is standing to my right I feel it is entirely incumbent upon me to say it is the best hot cross bun I have ever eaten.”
Residents can try the Alban Bun, which dates from 1381 when Brother Thomas Rocliffe first distributed them to the poor on Good Friday, for themselves at Abbot’s Kitchen restaurant in the cathedral’s Chapter House from Monday.
A spokesman for St Albans Cathedral said: “We were delighted to welcome food critic Jay Rayner to the cathedral last Thursday, and for the origins of the Alban Bun to be featured on the BBC’s One Show over the Easter period.”
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 4 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 7 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 10 Area Guide: The busy Hertfordshire town of Hemel Hempstead
Tune in on Friday, March 29, to watch the hot cross bun feature on that evening’s edition of The One Show.