BBC One Show’s Jay Rayner samples St Albans hot cross buns
- Credit: Archant
THE One Show’s resident food expert Jay Rayner said St Albans’ claim to the hot cross bun was the best he had ever tasted when he visited the city to do a spot of filming for the BBC programme.
The celebrity food critic was at the Cathedral last Thursday to sample the famous Alban Bun, which is believed to have originated in St Albans in the 14th Century.
As part of the bakery segment he was filmed being presented with one of the sweet spiced buns by a “monk” who was keeping tight-lipped about its secret ingredients.
Mr Rayner, who also stopped off at Simmons Bakery in French Row and took part in a bake-off at Redbournbury Mill, said: “It is an absolute joy to come to St Albans as I went to school not far from here. We do a whole variety of films and I do love the ones which have proper social history in them. St Albans’ claim to the hot cross bun is the real deal.”
He added: “I like the bun, it is soft and light with a hit of cardamom. As the baker is standing to my right I feel it is entirely incumbent upon me to say it is the best hot cross bun I have ever eaten.”
You may also want to watch:
Residents can try the Alban Bun, which dates from 1381 when Brother Thomas Rocliffe first distributed them to the poor on Good Friday, for themselves at Abbot’s Kitchen restaurant in the cathedral’s Chapter House from Monday.
A spokesman for St Albans Cathedral said: “We were delighted to welcome food critic Jay Rayner to the cathedral last Thursday, and for the origins of the Alban Bun to be featured on the BBC’s One Show over the Easter period.”
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 3 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 6 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 7 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 8 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 9 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 10 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
Tune in on Friday, March 29, to watch the hot cross bun feature on that evening’s edition of The One Show.