Battle of Trafalgar ends in draw for St Albans chess whizz
CHALLENGING a chess champion to a match on a giant board in Trafalgar Square was a bold move for a 20-year-old from St Albans. Ed Magee, who lives in Blenheim Road, sent two-metre-high chess pieces to battle earlier this month when he played on a glass c
CHALLENGING a chess champion to a match on a giant board in Trafalgar Square was a bold move for a 20-year-old from St Albans.
Ed Magee, who lives in Blenheim Road, sent two-metre-high chess pieces to battle earlier this month when he played on a glass chess board in the heart of London, a work of art set up as part of the London Design Festival.
Created by the Spanish designer Jaime Hayon, who was partly inspired by the Battle of Trafalgar, the chess board formed the centrepiece of the festival and many of the pieces, which were mounted on casters, were intended to reflect London's buildings, spires and domes.
St Albans Chess Club member Ed, who was playing Dutch chess champion Jan Mol, perched on a plinth high above the board and relayed his instruction to two assistants who moved the pieces for him in front of hundreds of spectators.
You may also want to watch:
After over an hour's play, the match ended in a draw.
Ed, who was one of many members of the public who had a go on the board, said that he was pleased with the result and added: "It was a fantastic experience and a great game. I was a bit nervous at first but I soon relaxed into playing my own game.
- 1 Affordable housing block given green light for garage site
- 2 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 3 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 4 Lib Dems: City centre road closures are blighting neighbourhoods
- 5 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 6 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 7 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 8 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 9 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 10 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
"Most of all, it was great to be part of such an important event.