Battle of Trafalgar ends in draw for St Albans chess whizz
CHALLENGING a chess champion to a match on a giant board in Trafalgar Square was a bold move for a 20-year-old from St Albans. Ed Magee, who lives in Blenheim Road, sent two-metre-high chess pieces to battle earlier this month when he played on a glass c
CHALLENGING a chess champion to a match on a giant board in Trafalgar Square was a bold move for a 20-year-old from St Albans.
Ed Magee, who lives in Blenheim Road, sent two-metre-high chess pieces to battle earlier this month when he played on a glass chess board in the heart of London, a work of art set up as part of the London Design Festival.
Created by the Spanish designer Jaime Hayon, who was partly inspired by the Battle of Trafalgar, the chess board formed the centrepiece of the festival and many of the pieces, which were mounted on casters, were intended to reflect London's buildings, spires and domes.
St Albans Chess Club member Ed, who was playing Dutch chess champion Jan Mol, perched on a plinth high above the board and relayed his instruction to two assistants who moved the pieces for him in front of hundreds of spectators.
You may also want to watch:
After over an hour's play, the match ended in a draw.
Ed, who was one of many members of the public who had a go on the board, said that he was pleased with the result and added: "It was a fantastic experience and a great game. I was a bit nervous at first but I soon relaxed into playing my own game.
- 1 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 2 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 5 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 6 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 7 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Sustainable St Albans hosting Open Food Gardens event across district
- 10 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
"Most of all, it was great to be part of such an important event.