UK’s Strongest Man 250kg deadlift challenge entertains crowds outside St Albans’ Alban Arena
- Credit: Archant
The UK’s Strongest Man held its launch event in St Albans city centre on Saturday with a 250kg deadlift challenge.
The event saw Pa O’Dwyer, the winner of the UK’s Strongest Man 2018, take on England’s Strong Man, Sean Logan, outside the Alban Arena.
O’Dwyer and Logan both achieved 32 lifts but Logan threw in the towel on the 33rd, leaving O’Dwyer the victor.
At 64 lifts between the two strong men, they lifted the equivalent of 16 tonnes.
Reflecting on his victory, O’Dwyer said: “It was great being back in St Albans, and Sean, who is a fantastic deadlifter, pushed me really hard. He is a real contender for the UK title this year.
You may also want to watch:
“I was surprised we managed as many lifts as we did, but the great crowd really kept us going. And of course it was great to get a win for Ireland.”
The UK’s Strongest Man is a three-day competition taking place from July 26-28 at the Abbey View Athletics Track in Verulamium Park. See https://www.ultimatestrongman.tv/uks-strongest-man-2019/ for details.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 5 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 6 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 7 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 SustFest hosting Open Food Gardens event across district