UK’s Strongest Man 250kg deadlift challenge entertains crowds outside St Albans’ Alban Arena
- Credit: Archant
The UK’s Strongest Man held its launch event in St Albans city centre on Saturday with a 250kg deadlift challenge.
The event saw Pa O’Dwyer, the winner of the UK’s Strongest Man 2018, take on England’s Strong Man, Sean Logan, outside the Alban Arena.
O’Dwyer and Logan both achieved 32 lifts but Logan threw in the towel on the 33rd, leaving O’Dwyer the victor.
At 64 lifts between the two strong men, they lifted the equivalent of 16 tonnes.
Reflecting on his victory, O’Dwyer said: “It was great being back in St Albans, and Sean, who is a fantastic deadlifter, pushed me really hard. He is a real contender for the UK title this year.
“I was surprised we managed as many lifts as we did, but the great crowd really kept us going. And of course it was great to get a win for Ireland.”
The UK’s Strongest Man is a three-day competition taking place from July 26-28 at the Abbey View Athletics Track in Verulamium Park. See https://www.ultimatestrongman.tv/uks-strongest-man-2019/ for details.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 Area Guide: The busy Hertfordshire town of Hemel Hempstead