Banned dog seized from St Albans address
AN AMERICAN pit bull terrier has been seized from an address in St Albans because it is a banned breed. The owners of the 14-month-old dog, which was being kept in Cell Barnes Lane, had the option of being prosecuted or giving up the animal. Pc Dean Mason
AN AMERICAN pit bull terrier has been seized from an address in St Albans because it is a banned breed.
The owners of the 14-month-old dog, which was being kept in Cell Barnes Lane, had the option of being prosecuted or giving up the animal.
Pc Dean Mason, local Neighbourhood Watch officer for Cell Barnes and Cunningham, said: "American pit bulls are a banned breed and it is illegal to own them."
He has been working with the district council, Hightown and Praetorian and Churches Housing Association and Pc Lee Osborne who is the single point of contact for dangerous dogs in St Albans.
In September Pcs Mason and Osborne seized another American pit bull terrier from Batchwood ward in St Albans.
Pc Osborne said: "It is very unusual to have these dogs in St Albans and especially as neither of these cases were linked. It has obviously been very upsetting for the families of these dogs who have had to give up their pets - but they have been very co-operative."
- 1 LIVE: St Albans and Harpenden A-level results 2022
- 2 Hemel Hempstead man wanted as part of assault investigation
- 3 Franco Manca receives licence to serve alcohol in St Albans
- 4 'Minor explosions' heard during garage fire near St Albans
- 5 Person dies after being hit by a train between St Albans and London
- 6 Fresh call for safer crossing on route into city centre
- 7 St Albans one of the UK's top 10 most beautiful cities, says tiling firm
- 8 'Get a grip on lawless Charter Market', traders demand in leaked audio
- 9 All trains cancelled between St Albans Abbey and Watford
- 10 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
He added: "If you are considering buying a dog and have any suspicions that it may be a banned breed, please contact me on 01727 796042 or email firstname.lastname@example.org