Baby chokes to death at St Albans restaurant
A FAMILY outing turned into unimaginable tragedy when a baby died after swallowing a marshmallow at a St Albans restaurant.
Despite the best efforts of the father, staff, onlookers and the paramedics who were called to Darcys in Hatfield Road on the afternoon of Sunday, March 13, the little boy could not be saved.
Police said that he received treatment from the ambulance service and was conveyed to the QE11 Hospital but later pronounced dead.
The parents, who were with a large party, had purchased a hot chocolate and the baby ate one of the small marshmallows floating in the drink. This is understood to have then expanded in his throat, causing him to choke.
Herts Police, which were called upon to assist the ambulance service at the scene and closed the road, have commended the restaurant staff for their handling of the situation.
You may also want to watch:
Ruth Hurren, Darcys director, felt it would be inappropriate to comment in any detail but said: “It had started off as such a lovely day of friendship and laughter it’s so sad that it had to turn into such a tragic day which left everyone involved in pieces. Our condolences and thoughts are with the family.”
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 3 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 4 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 5 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 8 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 9 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 10 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre