Baby chokes to death at St Albans restaurant

PUBLISHED: 06:46 24 March 2011




A FAMILY outing turned into unimaginable tragedy when a baby died after swallowing a marshmallow at a St Albans restaurant.

Despite the best efforts of the father, staff, onlookers and the paramedics who were called to Darcys in Hatfield Road on the afternoon of Sunday, March 13, the little boy could not be saved.

Police said that he received treatment from the ambulance service and was conveyed to the QE11 Hospital but later pronounced dead.

The parents, who were with a large party, had purchased a hot chocolate and the baby ate one of the small marshmallows floating in the drink. This is understood to have then expanded in his throat, causing him to choke.

Herts Police, which were called upon to assist the ambulance service at the scene and closed the road, have commended the restaurant staff for their handling of the situation.

Ruth Hurren, Darcys director, felt it would be inappropriate to comment in any detail but said: “It had started off as such a lovely day of friendship and laughter it’s so sad that it had to turn into such a tragic day which left everyone involved in pieces. Our condolences and thoughts are with the family.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser