Award-winning children’s illustrator to run courses in Harpenden
A WELL-known children’s illustrator is offering budding youngsters the chance to improve their skills through a series of workshops to be held in Harpenden.
Nick Schon is the award-winning illustrator behind Biff, Chip and Kipper of the popular Magic Key series and has more than 120 books to his name. These books are used in 80 per cent of the UK’s primary schools and are sold in 135 countries worldwide.
Nick (pictured), who lives in Wheathampstead, was working as an art director at Saatchi and Saatchi Advertising, when he made his move into children’s illustrating around 20 years ago.
He said: “I had an idea for a children’s book so I wrote the story and did some illustrations but when I took it along to the publishers, they didn’t like the story.
“They did, however, like the illustrations and it went on from there. My passion became my job.”
You may also want to watch:
Nick is now looking to pass on his expertise through a series of workshops aimed at those aged over 16.
He said: “People always come up to me and ask how I got started, before eventually coming clean and saying they have an idea for a book but don’t know what to do next.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 3 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 4 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 5 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 8 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
“Someone suggested to me that I run some classes and I thought, why not? My knowledge is something I can pass on to help others.”
The courses will start on October 5 and will teach some drawing and painting skills as well as how to tell a story through pictures. Nick will also be giving advice on how to market your work.
For more information about the course call 07974 983433 or visit www.nickschonillustrator.com