Award for nurse who gave exceptional care to St Albans family
- Credit: Archant
A dedicated nurse has won a coveted award for her exceptional care of a premature baby and her parents in a London hospital.
Raquel Martins Pina has received the Guy’s and St Thomas’ People’s Award after being nominated by Imogen Durenkamp from St Albans in recognition of the exceptional care provided to her daughter who was born prematurely at just 25 weeks.
Baby Catherine passed away 48 days later in the neonatal intensive care unit of the Evelina London Children’s Hospital.
Imogen said: “The neonatal unit did absolutely everything they could to try to save Catherine but sadly there was no happy ending. We could not have gone through such a difficult and devastating time without the help and support of the expert staff on the unit.
“Raquel looked after Catherine, my husband and me in our last three days together as a family. She could not do enough for us, even changing her shifts around so she could continue to care for Catherine right up to the end.
“When Catherine died, Raquel sat patiently with us and helped us to bathe and dress her. She was kind, compassionate, calm and understanding, helping us through something no parent should ever have to go through.”
Imogen added: “All the staff on the neonatal intensive care unit, including the receptionists and ward counsellor, have a very special place in our hearts.”
- 1 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 2 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 3 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 4 Removing asbestos from Arena will cost £250,000
- 5 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 6 'Don't touch my hair!' - tackling hair discrimination against black youngsters
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 Patients required to continue wearing face coverings in healthcare settings
- 9 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 10 Local estate agent to sponsor Chelsea Flower Show garden
Raquel received her award from TV personality and Deputy Lieutenant of Greater London, Baroness Floella Benjamin at a ceremony last week. She was one of 11 individual members of staff and teams honoured at the awards.