Audio: Primary School crowned winners of festive song contest
CHRISTMAS has arrived early for an all-singing all-dancing primary school which has been crowned winners of a festive song contest for the third year running. Eight pupils from The Abbey School were crowned winners of the Maltings Christmas Carol Contest
CHRISTMAS has arrived early for an all-singing all-dancing primary school which has been crowned winners of a festive song contest for the third year running.
Eight pupils from The Abbey School were crowned winners of the Maltings Christmas Carol Contest last week with their song Christmas Time Here in St Albans.
Clad in festive Santa outfits, the children took to the stage to perform their festive song and dance routine at the final showdown of the competition at the Maltings Arts Theatre on Wednesday.
Their song received praise for its upbeat tempo, local references and fun attitude from the four judges - St Albans Mayor, Cllr Chris Oxley, Maltings manager Phil Corrigan, Maltings Arts Theatre manager Lucy Godfrey and Herts Advertiser reporter Aimee Brannen.
You may also want to watch:
But the group - made up of Lydia Pazzi-Axworthy, Charlotte Griffiths, Jennie Walton, Emily Morrison, Daniel Collins, Sophie Lonsdale, Ellie Meadows and Ella Beaumont - were up against fierce competition from St Peters School and the Lost and Found adults choir from the Kings Community Church in Hatfield.
In fact, Mr Corrigan was so impressed with all the talent that on the night he decided to donate �250 to the runners-up and added another �250 to the existing �500 prize fund.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 6 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 7 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 8 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 9 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
The Abbey School has now recorded its song onto CD and performed it at the Mayor's Christmas Carol Concert outside the Civic Centre in St Albans last Sunday.
The competition is in its third year and was organised by the Maltings Shopping Centre with support from the Herts Advertiser.