Audience of 20,000 expected for annual St Albans Cathedral fireworks display
- Credit: Archant
One of the district’s most popular events is back next month with more than 20,000 people expected to attend St Albans Cathedral’s Fireworks Spectacular on November 4.
The event, which is run by Redbourn’s Fantastic Fireworks, will once again be held in Verulanium Park.
The display was started over 25 years ago in an attempt to reduce the number of firework-related accidents at home, and since then has raised over £750,000 for local and national charities.
This year’s nominated charities are Earthworks St Albans, an organisation which provides horticultural training for those with learning disabilities and mental health conditions, and Waverley Driving Group RDA who provide horse-drawn carriage rides for the disabled.
Rev Dr Kevin Walton, canon chancellor at St Albans Cathedral said: “The Cathedral is delighted to be organising this popular community event which has been growing in size from year to year, thanks to our team of dedicated volunteers, and we look forward to welcoming thousands once again. We are also glad to be using this year’s display to support the work of Earthworks and Waverley Driving Group.”
You may also want to watch:
A team of over 400 volunteers from the Cathedral congregation, local youth and Scout groups, the Round Table and the Rotary Club work in coordination with St Albans Cathedral to put on the event.
This year’s headline sponsors are Debenhams Ottoway and executive partner Louise Attrup said: “It is without doubt one of the biggest events on the St Albans calendar and we are delighted that it will be raising money for two brilliant charities that help some of the most disadvantaged people in our community.”
- 1 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 5 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 6 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 7 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 8 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 9 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
The event will include a food village made up of street food vendors and licensed bars which will run throughout the event until 9pm.
Tickets will be available on the night at the gate, but customers can save 30 per cent by buying tickets in advance from the Cathedral Box Office - 01727 890290 or www.stalbanscathedral.org - or the Alban Arena Box Office on 01727 844488 or at www.alban-arena.co.uk