Auctioneers returns to St Albans after decades away
A FAMILY auctioneers which was once at the heart of the St Albans business community has returned to the city it once called home.
JP Humbert Auctioneers left the district in the 1980s but made a welcome comeback yesterday (Wednesday) with a valuation day at the Old Town Hall.
The family firm has had a presence in Hertfordshire since the 19th Century and only left St Albans when its office in Romeland, which specialised in land and property, closed in the 80s.
Jonathan Humbert, managing director of JP Humbert Auctioneers, said: “I am very excited about returning to St Albans with my team and having been born and brought up here, it very much feels like coming home.”
Mr Humbert’s auction house is now based in Towcester and regularly features on TV shows such as Celebrity Cash in the Attic and Antiques Road Trip.
Mr Humbert said the service was long overdue for St Albans. He added: “In these cash-strapped times clients need a facility to realise the value of their chattels and turn them into money in the bank rather than gathering dust in the dressing table or sideboard.”
It will be the first valuation day of what will become a regular event on the calendar, with the firm hosting valuation days on the first Wednesday of every month. The next event will be on November 2.
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 3 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 4 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 5 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition
- 6 Honest truths spilled in Saints dressing room after humbling FA Trophy defeat to Cheshunt
- 7 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 8 St Albans' Rachel Andrews stars alongside James Nesbitt and Eddie Izzard in new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 After another near miss, crossing desperately needed outside St Albans school
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
Valuations will be free but the firm ask that donations be made to charity. They run 10am-3pm. To find out more call 01327 359595.