Aubrey Park Hotel staff saddle up for 24-hour bike ride
- Credit: Archant
They might not be travelling far, but a team of charity riders from a St Albans hotel are raking in the cash from their efforts.
The team at Aubrey Park Hotel used pedal power to raise more than £400 for two local charities last month. Setting up a static bike in reception, and armed with water bottles and money buckets, the 15 staff members started pedalling in a shift system from 8am on Wednesday, January 27 and continued until the early hours of Thursday morning.
The hotel has pledged to raise money for Rennie Grove Hospice Care and Sunnyside Rural Trust throughout 2016.
Managing director David Timmis said: “We have pledged to organise at least five charity fundraisers.”
Sales manager Tara Brady added: “I’ve been cycling for about an hour and have to admit my legs are feeling like jelly now, but so happy to be raising money for these two causes.”
You may also want to watch:
During the 24-hour period, one member of the Aubrey Park team – including receptionists, chefs, members of the office team and night staff – was cycling at any one time, so the pedals of the static bike were in perpetual motion!
Rennie Grove community fundraising manager Nicola MacKinnon said: “We’re delighted that Aubrey Park Hotel are supporting us and humbled by the effort everyone is putting into their fundraising. The 24-hour idea is great because it complements our ethos of 24/7 responsive care in patients’ homes.”
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 Affordable housing block given green light for garage site
- 4 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 5 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 6 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 7 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 8 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 9 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 10 New vicar comes to Harpenden church